turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ortegorl

I accidentally forgot to add a W2 to my taxes and it has already been sent.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

33 Replies
Heather14

Since you have already filed your return, you'll need to wait for your tax return to either be rejected or accepted, if it is rejected you can add your Form W-2, correct any other errors on the return and resubmit it. If it is accepted, you will need to amend your return to include the Form W-2. You can not e-file an amended return as this cannot be filed electronically.  The form is only filed on paper, so it will need to be printed and filed by mail. 

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ for instructions on how to amend your 2016 tax return in TurboTax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

Hello, I just submitted for my tax refund but accidentally forgot to add one of my w2s. What do i do?

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Wait to see if it is accepted or rejected. If it is rejected you will be able to correct it. If it is accepted you won't be able to change anything. You'll need to wait for it to be processed before you can amend it.

This article will cover amending a return.

Amend 2019 return? - Community

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Bev53hra

I forgot to added my w2 with my tax. It had already been mailed

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You will need to file an amended return to correct your tax return for the additional W-2 form.

How to amend my return

MarA4611

If I'm amending my return and adding the missing W-2, do I also need to add the ones already filed for the same year?

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

No, you will only be entering information that is new or not included in the original return. Please wait to file an amended return until your original return is fully processed. That is, you have received a refund or paid the taxes due with the original return. This will avoid processing errors.

If your original return is rejected, then you can simply enter the additional W-2 and file again. 

Kaybee75

How can I fix this 

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

The return cannot be changed at this time and you should wait until the return is either accepted or rejected.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to modify it before you resubmit.  

If your return is accepted, you can amend, or correct, your return if there is a missing W-2. There is no additional charge to use Turbo Tax to amend your return.

Below is a Turbo Tax FAQ with step-by-step instructions to amend.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

Tax year 2021 amend form should be available by Feb 24th and you can check that at this list of IRS forms and dates.
IRS Forms Available Estimates

Can i file this w-2 with my taxes next year?

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

No, you will need to Amend Your Return  to include your W2 from 2021 on your 2021 return.  

Each tax year is filed independent of the rest.  This means you must report your income received in that year on the return for that year.  You cannot include it on a later years return. 

If the money is already gone would i just owe?

What money is gone?  Did you have a tax due on your return?

You will still get the refund from the first original return or still need to pay the first tax due.  In fact you should not even amend until the first return has fully processed and you get the first refund or your tax due payment has cleared.  

Then the amended return is only for the difference you get back or owe.  I think the cover sheet shows what the original return WOULD have been if you did it right the first time.

Go by the actual 1040X.  Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 22 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

If you have a tax due, do not send the 1040V.  Just include a check with the 1040X.  Ignore the 1040V.  That is for the original return or what the original return would have been if it didn’t need correcting.  Don’t pay the amount on the 1040V.  Pay the amount on the actual 1040X.

My original tax return cleared and i used the money i got from it. Then i got another w-2 in the mail from a serving job. Im assuming im going to owe money. So im asking instead of them taking it out of my return like it would have normally done would i just end up owing money to the irs

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies