Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Should I amend my return to add a 1098-t will it change my refund amount?

1 Reply
New Member

Should I amend my return to add a 1098-t will it change my refund amount?

Yes, if you want to determine if you are eligible to claim an education credit and the various federal tax benefits for educational expenses.  You can file an amendment to your 2016 return and add the 1098-T. 

It depends on whether or not it will change your refund.  If you are eligible for the education credits then you may be entitled to an additional refund but it will depend on your personal tax situation

However, if your grant/scholarship amount (box 5) is more than your tuition (box 1/box 2) it may become excess scholarship money may be treated as taxable income on your return.

NOTE: If you decide to amend the IRS 2016 Amended tax forms will not be ready until sometime in February.  You will have to mail your amended return to the IRS. 

See How to Amend (Change or Correct) a Return You Already Filed to amend your income tax return. Please keep checking the TurboTax FAQ for the status of amended return tax forms.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies