Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Save copy of Return without worksheets

How to I save a copy of my return without the worksheets?  I need to transmit a copy to someone but I don't want them to have the worksheets.  Thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Sending a tax return by email is not secure but the risk is yours to take.   If you save your return as a pdf you can choose which pages to send.

EVERY year before mid-October you should save a copy of your tax return as a pdf and print a copy of it for your records.  That way you will not be searching online frantically when you need it for a lender, FAFSA forms, your next tax return, etc. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900937-why-should-i-save-a-pdf-copy-of-my-return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899779-what-s-the-difference-between-the-tax-data-file-and-the-pd...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1912466-how-do-i-save-my-return-as-a-pdf-in-the-turbotax-software-...

NOTE:  TurboTax and the IRS save returns for seven years.  Returns older than seven years are purged.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I never said I was sending it via email; I said I was transmitting.  I work in IT and there are safe ways to transmit data such as encrypting.  Please don't make assumptions.

I have a full copy of my return, but I want to SAVE a copy without the worksheets.  I do not have edit capacity for the PDF, so I'd like to SAVE a copy without the worksheets so I don't have to purchase an editable version of PDF software.  Thank you

@cdenorch It you used the TurboTax online web-based editions the current tax year, 2023, can be downloaded without worksheets.  For online tax years prior to 2023 all the PDF downloads will include worksheets if you used the Deluxe, Premier or Self-employed editions -

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

If you used the TurboTax desktop editions installed on a personal computer, in the File section of the program you can choose what is included in the saved PDF.

Thank you for replying.  I have the desktop version of TurboTax.  I went into TurboTax and tried to save another copy however it did not prompt me for 'save with or without worksheets'.  It just made another copy with all the worksheets.  I'm afraid more details are needed.  Thank you.

Are you on Windows or Mac?  One way in Windows is to Switch to Forms mode.  Open the 1040 and click on Print at the bottom.  That opens a box where you can pick what to print like just the forms to file.  Then at the bottom it gives you a choice to save a pdf or print preview copy.  

With the TurboTax program started, Continue the tax return that you want to save as a PDF.

Click on the File tab at to the top of the desktop program screen.

Click on Print/Save for Your Records

Click on the blue button Save a PDF

On the Form Selection window, select Tax Return Only

Click on Save As PDF

Desktop Save a PDF.JPG

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply.  I'm on a MAC so none of the solutions presented work.  I only seem to have a choice to select 'Tax Return Only' from the PRINT screen.  The PRINT screen allows me to save 'Tax Return Only' prior to printing.  I did that, however when I opened it I see that the Audit Protection insurance that I purchased is also in my saved tax return, along with other unnecessary worksheets.  It doesn't work, nor should it be this complicated.  Sooo, guess I'll print it, and pull out the documents I don't need and personally hand deliver the document.  I've been trying for a couple of hours plus and I'm ready to give up. 

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

For further instruction with your Mac, please contact us here if you are still having problems printing your return. 

@cdenorch 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

LenaH:  There seems to be some confusion. I'm not having problems printing as you indicated.  TurboTax does not seem to have a transparent method for SAVING a document without the worksheets.  I have a workaround that is cumbersome.  I click on the File tab then, then select PRINT, and on the PRINT screen at the bottom there is a button that states PDF with a drop down.  Within that dropdown I can then select SAVE and prior to saving I de-select the worksheets. This feature does not have a SAVE without Worksheets option.   I have the MAC desktop version of TurboTax.  In addition it would be nice if I could save a copy that allowed me to redact my SSN.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies