turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cgault330

Is anyone else having an Injured Spouse form taking forever to process? I'm at week 10 and it was filed after I e-filed. No updates from them at all.

They received my form on March 9th.  They claim its still "processing" but have not asked me for any more information.  They estimate 8 weeks but at week 10 with no update.  "Where's my refund" still just says that "been applied to past due obligations" message.  Anyone else having a serious delay/know why this is taking so long?  They have not been helpful at all.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Is anyone else having an Injured Spouse form taking forever to process? I'm at week 10 and it was filed after I e-filed. No updates from them at all.

Per the IRS, it can take up to 14 weeks.  You just have to wait.

cgault330

They said 8 weeks if I file the injured spouse form after the e-file was processed

Did you finally get your return and if you did how many weeks? I am on week 9

Same situation. I filed after I efiled and it’s taking forever. Week 9. Supposed to take 8 weeks
cgault330

Same deal this year. I'm at week 10 or 11 now with nothing.  I did receive my check in the mail the second week of June last year, so I'd imagine I'm looking at the same time frame this year.  The "where's my refund" tool updated the last week of May in 2018, and I got the check 2 weeks later.  So you're probably looking at 12-13 weeks for an update, then 2 more weeks for a check.

My injured spouse “closed” on May 1st. According to some other people who filed this year they got their check 2 1/2 weeks after their close date. I’m hoping to get my check around the 20th but I know it could take longer. The WMR doesn’t seem to be updating fully but it eventually says its processing the refund again, according to others.

8 weeks is an estimate and they made that estimate many years ago. Two things have happened since then that might affect the processing time. 1) the number of people defaulting on student loans has increased to shocking levels. Most defaults probably lead to injured spouse claims, which means the line is extra long this year. 2) Congress cut the IRS budget and it is now severely understaffed as a result. Plus there are a lot of new tax rules this year as well.

Wrong.
MGC1

It's been 92 days for me (13 weeks ) and all I get is "still processing".  Mine was filed electronically on 3/24/20 at the same time as my tax return.  No one can help me either except say, "still processing".  Such BS.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Right now, the IRS is not processing paper filed returns NOR are they processing returns that are being reviewed (this includes returns with injured spouse forms).   If it has been over 21 days and your return still says ''processing'' on Where's My Refund, that means the IRS is reviewing something.  But that does not mean there is any problem with your return at all.  1 out of every 10 tax returns ends up taking longer than the standard 3 weeks.  It doesn't mean you did anything wrong, but it does mean that your return is probably not on the automatic schedule anymore.  And that means, you will need to wait for the IRS to return to normal operations before it will be completed.   

Once your return is accepted, ONLY the IRS knows anything about.  No one at TurboTax can give you any information once the return is accepted by the IRS.  We simply do not have any information beyond the time it was accepted.  

I am hoping they return to full operations soon, but with this COVID thing, it is pointless to guess at a time-frame.  Keep checking the site; it is all you can do right now.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies