turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rejected fed return

Hi. I hope I’m in the right place to ask a question! My fed return was rejected. The reason stated I had entered my wifes AGI incorrectly when I tried to file. We file as Married filing jointly. How can my wife have a seperate AGI?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Rejected fed return

Are you filing a Joint return for 2019?  It should ask for her AGI.  You enter the same AGI that you entered for you.  I know there is a problem Efiling when a spouse died in 2019 so it's probably a problem for 2020 too.  Her ssn is locked at the IRS.  You have to print and mail your return.  Sorry.

How to mail a return from the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS received the return. Don’t forget state.

Important! Mail Federal and State in separate envelopes and mail each year in separate envelopes.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Rejected fed return

If you filed a joint return in 2018, then you both use the same total 2018 AGI.  You do not divide or otherwise allocate it.  Each of you would enter that figure to verify your efiling.

Rejected fed return

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I didn’t divide anything. I  entered our AGI - we only have one since we’re filing jointly. The rejection notice said I had entered Jean’s - my wife - AGI incorrectly. Why would they think Jean would have a seperate AGI? Isn’t that strange?

Rejected fed return

You entered the same AGI for her as for you?  Sorry to ask but did she pass away in 2019?

Rejected fed return

Hi. She passed away just last month. 
The instructions to efile required last year’s AGI. We only have one AGI, which is what I entered. They didn’t ask for Jean’s AGI. We always file jointly so that wouldn’t make sense. I entered the AGI from row 7 on form 1040, as always. I kind of think their rejection is an error!

Rejected fed return

Are you filing a Joint return for 2019?  It should ask for her AGI.  You enter the same AGI that you entered for you.  I know there is a problem Efiling when a spouse died in 2019 so it's probably a problem for 2020 too.  Her ssn is locked at the IRS.  You have to print and mail your return.  Sorry.

How to mail a return from the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS received the return. Don’t forget state.

Important! Mail Federal and State in separate envelopes and mail each year in separate envelopes.

Rejected fed return

OK. That makes sense. It didn’t occur to me that since she didn’t die in 2019 that it would have any influence filing 2019.

thanks so much for your help! I appreciate it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies