Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Refund Status says Action Required

Here are my annual words of caution since some are so eager to file the returns early….remember patience is a virtue and don't plan on your refund being in your account on a certain date then you won't be disappointed or overdrawn.  It is very possible that you  get a DD date then it gets put on hold while the IRS reviews the account which can delay it for months. Do not be in a rush to transmit the return … once you press that button you cannot stop the filing or make any changes until the IRS accepts or rejects the return.

A couple of years ago the IRS started verifying W-2 forms before issuing a refund which means filing your return before the W-2 is issued will not work since your return will be held up until the employer has filed the W-2 with the IRS. And if you have Earned Income Credit or the Additional Child Tax credit the returns cannot be processed at all until 2/15 so those refunds will not hit until late February at the earliest … see this page : 

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2018-tax-filing-season-begins-jan-29-tax-returns-due-april-17-help-avai... 

The IRS no longer processes returns in first in first out batches. They are processed individually so returns sent in at the same time will not necessarily process together.

The IRS states that 9 of 10 returns will process in 21 days or less from being accepted not filed. However considering that the IRS processes more than 140 million returns that means 14 million will be delayed for more than 21 days. 

Think of the IRS process as a long pipe line. Some returns will be rejected before being allowed into the pipe and the rest will be accepted. Then once accepted into the pipeline many will process directly through without any delays and some will not.  Some returns will be siphoned off for further review of some kind. The basis of what triggers these reviews is a well guarded secret but some are just picked randomly every year.

Some reviews are automated and some will require human attention. The processing times will vary and due to the continued understaffing situation and the gov shutdown  they are likely to take much longer this year than last.

I understand, I was also thinking that the it might take a little longer (Feb 15) as I have been seeing some videos. However, the thing that is really stressing me out is that it has been more than 2 weeks since I filled and still have not received a notice letter in the mail. At this point I am unsure if I should click on the No option since the IRS sometimes just never sends a letter in. I also read other posts and some people have complained that it took them more than 6 months to get their actual refund while others have not even been able to get it all because of this verification process. Like I said, I have done it for over 4 years now and never had this issue up until now. So I mean all I can do is wait but I don't what to do as far as the other options such as requesting an additional letter.

Samething is happen to me I checked my where my refund it said action required. I havent recieved a letter. Am confused I don’t know what to do. Am call them in morning. I verified myself thur the IDMe but it said it can’t provided me with anything info via… So if u find out anything please let me know & same here.

How do I get into the verification process?

Checked the statues & got action required without a letter. Am so confused & I haven’t revieved a letter & I check the mail daily. If u find anything can u please email me [email address removed] & same here

Hey so if you went through the whole verification process with ID.me it should then send you into the IRS control number page but since I haven't received anything I have no clue and cannot proceed nor get my refund until then. I was looking around the web and it seems that there is no way to go on about this unless you do have the notice letter that they are supposed to send. They said that it usually takes up to 2 weeks after filing to supposedly receive but still nothing for me. I am stuck on the control number screen on the IRS with two options only. Like I said, I haven't gotten the letter either. I am going to call tomorrow and see what they can do but I doubt they will help. 

The other thing I saw was that if you are able to get your hands on the letter and verify the information it can *take up to 9 weeks* but others have reported it takes 2-3 weeks to receive it after you successfully verify with the IRS. That's all the information I have gathered until now.

Same here. I only have a notification about identity verification through the IRS but no notices posted or nothing updated.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Here is an FAQ about handling identity verification requests from the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hey so I finally have an update for this and unfortunately I have bad news after all. I did a lot of researching around and it looks like a lot of people are having this same problem with the IRS needing to verify identity for this filing year . I called two different times and spoke to different people from the IRS. It took me around 5 minutes to get in touch with the first person and after asking for my information they could not help me and said to simply wait for the letter without giving me little to no information at all.

I called again this time speaking to somebody else and this person was very sweet and took their time. They asked for information again and was on hold for about 25 minutes but they could not help me fully. The only difference is that in my case they were able to tell me that I should expect a letter this month latest on the 19th. It is the 21 days process for the letter after filing unfortunately. 

So yes, if you get the action required message asking for a control number you will need the letter to verify otherwise there is no way to bypass it. Also, this letter does not appear on the website even if you are supposedly sent one. The only information I was given was the timeframe and if not received after that to contact them again stating that you never got the letter after 21 days. Only thing we can do for now is wait and see if the letter gets here. Just bummed since this means they will delay the refund. 

*On another note* if you get the letter and successfully verify it can take up to 9 additional weeks to fully receive that refund. Others have stated that its taken them 3 weeks to receive while others have not even gotten their owed refund from last year. It's luck at this point. 

So we’re screwed basically? I’m over here stressing to renew my passport for identity and stuff 

Yeah seems like we are unfortunately. We are depending on this letter now to receive our return and is going to set us back from getting our refund. This is going to take months worse case scenario. Unless we are lucky and get the letter on the designated dates then our refund would come sooner but by the looks of it will take a while. 😕

Well .. I’m hopeful that that won’t matter and you get your refund on the 8th and me on the 12th. 

Same here, wishful thinking or get the letter this week at least :(

Have you heard anything yet? 

Not yet, no letter nor refund. I spoke to various reps and no one could give me definitive answer. The last one I spoke to said that the letters haven't even been sent out still. That the timeframe should be Feb 19th which are the supposed 21 days to receive the letter. So it looks like we can get something in the next couple of weeks if we're lucky. The rep also mentioned that the IRS is doing things differently this year to apparently "prepare" people with this new verification identity method to prepare people for the next refunds. IDK it is all just weird to me. They have just been toying with people tbh

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies