Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Refund Status says Action Required

I had trouble understanding, so did you get a letter from the IRS? If so, which letter? For myself I got three, the first one was just a letter they are supposed to send to your address to verify that the person signing into your account was you from ID.me (which they send you to verify that the account is yours when you first sign in).

The other two I got them on Tuesday but they were the letters that have the actual control number. So in all, the letter you need has the control number. This is a security thing they do to make sure that the person who filed was you. The control number won't be sent anywhere else other than your physical address. Like I have mentioned on other posts, please CALL them. Even if you get the letter with the control number it is going to take weeks for it to even load on your account. If you verify over the phone they should be able to update it faster but it can take just a few days for you to actually see the update on your end.

So just give them a call and try to see where yours is at. Another suggestion, if you still have not received the letter call them and ask them to please send you one. I did that and that is why I got two letters. The control number won't change even if you did not receive the first one. 

I have a final update: I got my refund today! I'm sure every situation is going to be different and am not sure what is different about mine but I have it. One possible difference may be that I already and an ID.me login with the IRS. I'm not sure if that was enough to release the flag or what. I never really got an answer as to what happened; literally one day it was pending the letter and the next day it wasn't.

Good luck everyone.

That is amazing to hear! from what I have been researching it might have been a glitch on the Irs' end especially if you did not have to verify. So it is more than likely that yours was good all along! Nice! I haven't been as lucky but at least I have finally verified over the phone, hopefully its soon for me as well.

Any luck yet? Has your status changed or anything on the irs tool?

Hey~ I checked today! Good news, so I didn't see an actual update on the tool but I tried checking my transcripts. I really did not expect much since they haven't updated or anything but they did today! I checked and now I have a 846 code on my transcripts with an estimated date of 02/28/2024. So I should be expecting my actual refund next week. I will keep an eye out in case anything changes or that day if I do get it.

That’s very good news!! But did you get that update on your transcript? What does your irs tool app say is what I’m wondering?

Yeah it updated on my transcript, the tool also updated it no longer displays the verification message. It says that my refund is being issued but that I might possibly get it partial because I "owe" which is weird. I did see that a few people got that same message for their refund but that they did receive it in full. According to my transcript and the code my refund should be issued by tomorrow so I will come back for any updates regarding that

Hey I need help. Finally got the letter with the control number. What number do I dial to the irs to provide them the control number? And what all do I neee to have in hand as far as the questions they will ask me over phone?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

This is an IRS process and you will have to contact them as requested.  The phone number to call the IRS should be in the upper right-hand corner of the letter.  If this is an Identity verification process, you will need typical information like birthdate, ID#s for Driver's License passport, and other things.  They will guide you and allow you time to provide the requested information.  

@Claude Loz 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hey so I wanted to come here again to give my final update, I did receive my refund today as stated by the transcripts. So what you want to do after getting the letter call the IRS on the number they provide on the letter, you should be able to find it at the bottom mid section on the letter. After you call they will ask you basic information about you, like confirming your name, address, SSN.
After that they will pull out a few questions that shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. When you do that, make sure to get your 2022 or previous year return because they will ask information on that as well as the year you are currently filing for. They did ask for more personal information such as parent's full name and after they verify you just wait a few days to see changes on your WRM and transcripts. You would look for code 846 on your transcript that should give you a DDD with the refund amount.

Thank you so much!! I actually did it earlier over the phone was on hold for like a whole hr but worth it! They did ask few questions and went good. So do you think by the next 3 days my tool will update? Or how long did it take you to receive your refund after you verified over the phone with them? 

yayy!!! almost there! okay so I wouldn't exactly know a timeframe to when your stuff should be updated. Just keep checking everyday at this point because they can be updated at anytime. Normally yes, it should take about 3 days which is what mine took but still be on the lookout, especially for that transcript update! after that I want to say I checked on Friday (I verified on Tuesday) and I saw an update for a DDD 2/28 (today). I did check my bank this morning and boom! it was there. Unfortunately it wasn't the exact amount I was expecting because apparently I owed $100 (all though I don't know from where and they never told me) but I still got a good amount. Hopefully you are lucky!

No update yet on the tool after verification last week. I wonder why it would take long if everything’s been verified over the phone?

Just give it a few days it takes a little. When did do verify?

Wednesday last week over the phone with and IRS lady. She did say it would take 2-3 weeks 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies