billd1140

Recovery Rebate Credit

I filed my mother's 2020 tax returns via TurboTax without issue.  She passed away in August of 2020.  Her federal tax returns were accepted in early May and she was due a return by the federal government in the amount of $2174.00.

It wasn't until 9 August that I finally got a refund, but only in the amount of $916.35.  The only explanation received from the IRS was "the amount was computed incorrectly".

Can someone help me determine the best way to reach out to the IRS for additional information as to the reason for the reduced refund amount? There was no letter or explanation given other than the one statement.  And I only received that info by going to the IRS.gov website and clicking on the link "Where is my Refund?"  

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Recovery Rebate Credit

Did you have an amount on line 30 of the form 1040?  That is the most common issue ... you  say you did not get the stimulus payment in advance and the IRS says you did and reduces the refund accordingly. 

billd1140

Recovery Rebate Credit

Thanks for the information.  I will confirm whether or not a stimulus check was received.  I really appreciate the recommendation.  I wish the IRS would have provided some detailed information like that.

R/Bill

Recovery Rebate Credit

If you have not yet opened an account at the IRS then do so now ... it is free and once opened you can check your information anytime you want ...   https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

IRS view account.jpg