Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Recovery rebate credit question

I need help. I received a CP11 letter stating I owe addtional $1234.30 (of this amount $2.30 is interest still accruing and amount i ower is $1232 and change).  This is the amount that was listed on line 31 on my 1040.  My AGI was slightly over at $152k for 2021. Married filing jointly. I dont have any other changes that would get me more credit e.g. newborn etc. 

I got $2800 in 2021 pre IRS website for RRC.

I got in 2020, $1195.55 for my first payment and my second was $596.55 

I just want to make sure that I understand this right. I did the Turbo Tax questions and thought i answered all the questions correctly but not sure now. And even then I thought since we were under $160k combined agi, that it would not get phased out but reduced for being over 150k slightly. Im so confused. Should I just pay this?  Not sure if Turbo tax guided me wrong or what happend. 

Thanks in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

since you state you received $2800 back in March, 2021, then Line 30 of Form 1040 should be zero. what is there? I am assuming you filed joint with no children.  

(you are not required to pay back stimulus, i.e. Line 30 can't be negative)

Yes you owe it back.  Sorry you already got the 2800 3rd Stimulus payment in 2021.  Even though it was more than you qualified for based on your 2021 AGI income.  But you must have answered a question wrong and said you didn't get it.  Line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more. 

Oh wait,  it's on line 31?  Line 31 comes from Schedule 3.  What line on Schedule 3?  

I apologize for my typo. 

Yes it is line 30 and not 31. It is $1232 on line 30 and IRS letter states they changed it ( im guessing they changed it to $0) because my adjusted income was over $150k. There are no details provided other then that. They dont explain if there should be a hard stop limit because we are over the 150k limit or it should be a portion or incremental amount disallowed. maybe im just completely off and not understanding the credit right.

Apologies, that is a typo it is line 30 not 31.  It is likely that I could have answered something wrong during that portion of the questions asked by TT.

they changed it because the IRS knows you already received the $2800.  Therefore Line 30 should be zero as you already received what you were entitled to. 

They changed it to 0 because you already got it.  You said you got the 3rd Stimulus payment of 2800 (1400x2).  That was the max you could get.   As I said  Line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more. 

And actually you got more than you were qualified for!  Because of you income you only qualified for 1232 not the full 2800.

Thank you both for your quick responses and helpful insight. 

I will go and pay it now at their website.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies