Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Receive CP14 Notice - ACH tax payment made but not applied to 2022

I have been using Turbotax for a lot of years but this is a new one to me.  I submitted my taxes electronically and requested payment be debited from my checking account through Turbotax.  I think I fat fingered something (best I can tell) and the IRS sent me a USmail notice stating the debit withdrawal failed.  I immediately ran the process again and on the 28th of April and I saw the debit from my checking account had happened so thought I was good.  Not so.  I received a CP14 notice stating I had not paid the amount due and now owed them penalties and interest.  I could not get through to the IRS so contacted Intuit's tax audit defense because I had purchased it with my 2022 tax submission.  Thanks to them, contact was made with the IRS via a 3-way call.  Turns out the money withdrawn from my account was applied to my estimated taxes for 2023 instead of the current 2022 submitted taxes.  I never do estimated taxes.  There is no where in my 2022 taxes, that I can see, of any lines for paying estimated taxes for 2023.  So my question is, is there a glitch in the Turbotax software or did the IRS just mess up?

Dale

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

TurboTax does not make estimated payments so I would think that the IRS messed up. 

I also owed and used direct debit. it went to 2022 as it should. the IRS seems to be having problems this year with properly processing payments.  more threads this year about taxpayers making payment which the IRS does not properly credit. I referring to threads where taxpayers can provide proof that the iRS took the money. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

TurboTax does not make any tax payments. You never make a payment "through TurboTax." TurboTax just sends the bank information that you enter to the IRS. The IRS debits the money from your bank account. There is no way that any glitch in TurboTax could have applied your payment to the wrong year.

But it's not clear whether the IRS messed up or you messed up, because it's not clear what "ran the process again" means. You could not have filed another tax return, and you could not have made the payment through TurboTax. How exactly did you make the payment that went through on April 28?

If you used Direct Pay on the IRS web site, you had to select whether it was for a balance due or for estimated tax (among other possibilities), and you had to designate the year. Direct Pay would not let you select 2023 for a balance due. If you selected estimated tax, it would automatically select 2023. If you have your Direct Pay confirmation number you could use Look Up Payment to see how the payment was designated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies