turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sharp_rob

Why doesn't bank routing number transfer from the federal to the state form? The state form won't allow me to enter the routing number and step-by-step doesn't show how.

I file state on paper. When I printed the state return, the routing and bank account numbers are blank. When I try to enter them, the form won't let me. I don't see how to do it in step-by-step. 

Thanks. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

Why doesn't bank routing number transfer from the federal to the state form? The state form won't allow me to enter the routing number and step-by-step doesn't show how.

Are you getting a refund on your state return?
Is the routing number on the TT/State's Information Worksheet? - typically in a "Direct Deposit..." section, and is that section filled out correctly? ("Yes" you want direct deposit; etc.)
sharp_rob

Yes, I'm getting a state refund, and yes, the information is correctly entered in the information worksheet on the federal return. I can see the empty box on the state form, and I can't fill it in - it won't accept typing. There doesn't appear to be a way to enter the information on the state form.

I SUSPECT that since I'm not paying to e-file state like Intuit wants me to, the program doesn't transfer the routing and account numbers. This is nonsensical because I'm still having direct deposit.
?????
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

The state's main form gets the routing number from the **state's** Info Wks - is *that* section filled out correctly (you said you looked at the federal Info Wks)??
Direct deposit isn't dependent on e-filing so that doesn't matter, the routing, account number, etc should flow to the state's main form if there is a refund and the state's Info Wks has that bank information.

Scroll way down to the State forms on the left side  There is a separate Info Worksheet listed under State.  I have California and it is the second thing listed under the 540 return.    The Deposit info in in Part VII, you have to scroll way down.
sharp_rob

I just accepted the federal stuff and didn't have much to type for state. I glossed over things like "credit for venison donation" and "expenses for healthcare facility handrails."

Do you know exactly which subsection it would be in on the state return? I clicked through each main section but it never asked me that question. And anyway - why wouldn't it use the same number but allow you to change it?

Sorry about this drivel, but now I'm curious to find the answer. I wonder if anyone else had this problem...? Thanks for helping out. 🙂

When you go though the FILE tab at the end it will ask you to enter your bank info for federal and for state.  I have the same version as you...Windows Home & Business.  
sharp_rob

Yes, I see it in the state info sheet, but I'm not explaining it very well. Data from federal transfers to state. When I started state in the step-by-step, it never asked me about banking information - and everything else transferred correctly.

When I type it directly into the state info sheet, it works and transfers to the state return. Just curious why it didn't transfer, why it didn't ask me about it, and ... oh never mind. :-))

Thanks everyone for your wisdom and patience. You are an amazing group.

It's not under State.  It's at the very end when you File the return.  

I just went though a test return and under the FILE tab after I entered the federal deposit info and continued on it went though the state info.  See screen shot

sharp_rob

Did you file electronically? Because I selected "later" for state and just saved a pdf to print and mail. It never asked me this question.
wpaulgaddy
Returning Member

why want your company answer a simple question.  If I can not get an answer this will be my 20th a d last year I use turbo tax if it will not prepare a proper return

@wpaulgaddy wrote:

why want your company answer a simple question.  If I can not get an answer this will be my 20th a d last year I use turbo tax if it will not prepare a proper return

You have not asked a question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies