Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rajeevbathula
Returning Member

Wrong ssn in w2 and tax returns filed for 2 years

My W2 has wrong ssn number, only the first digit but I filed my 1040 with correct SSN and got returns for 2 years. What should I do now? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Others may have additional thoughts on this, but one thing you MUST do is have your employer issue a corrected W-2 for every year that the wrong SSN was on your W-2.  Those W-2's go not only to the IRS but to Social Security, so that your earnings are credited toward your future Social Security benefits.  You need for those records to be accurate.  And although your tax refunds came to you all right for a couple of tax returns, that incorrect W-2 could still come back to haunt you if the IRS catches it later.  Get the employer to correct it, and give copies of the corrected W-2 to you, copies to the Social Security Administration, and the IRS.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Rajeevbathula
Returning Member

Thanks for the reply. I’m on my OPT which means I don’t pay SSN taxes. I will ask my employer to change the W2 ASAP. 

Rajeevbathula
Returning Member

My employer filed W-2C online today for the last 2 years so Is that the only thing I require from them or should I get a new W-2 from the employer. 

They are required to give or mail you a copy of the W2C ... ask them for it for your records. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies