turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will IRS still withdraw payment from my direct debt if my efile is rejected?

I just want to sure there is no double payments that i will have to pay.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

If your federal tax return is rejected by the IRS, then the IRS never received the tax return to use the direct debit information to pay the taxes owed.

The irs rejected my federal and state efile  return. The reason was that I didn't have an ip pin and my spouse did. However, the IRS did withdraw the funds owed from my checking account. I have my pin now and ready to file again. How can I be sure the money owed won't be taken from my account again?

Not true. Mine was rejected and the IRS withdrew the $3925.00 owed from my checking account. My issue is to make sure they don't withdraw it again when I refile.

The short answer is yes they will if the fix that you are required to make will not change the amount you owe. They did it to me and I have the same concern about paying twice that you do

@aviator650 wrote:

The irs rejected my federal and state efile  return. The reason was that I didn't have an ip pin and my spouse did. However, the IRS did withdraw the funds owed from my checking account. I have my pin now and ready to file again. How can I be sure the money owed won't be taken from my account again?

What you are saying does not follow IRS procedure.  If the tax return is rejected by the IRS it is as if the tax return was never filed.  That being the case the IRS would not even know what account to debit.

What is the Exact name of the Payee on your bank account for the debit?  Did you also pay TurboTax account fees with a debit card from this bank account?  Was the amount debited on the account Exactly the amount of the Federal Taxes owed?

what is 'ip pin'?

I'm wondering the same thing.  I e filed my 19' taxes on another site and used Turbo Tax to enter my bank information for the stimulus check.  I owed so it asked for me to enter my bank information to pay for the taxes to be withdrawn on 4/15.   Then received a message saying my return was rejected.  I'm worried that the IRS will try to pull the money out of my account.  I think that since the return was rejected (never seen) they won't pull the money out of my account for what I owe.  

DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

When you used TurboTax to enter your bank information for the stimulus, what you did  was file a return with no income.  Because you already filed a return, your actual tax return was rejected - you can't file more than one tax return per tax ID #.   If my understanding is correct, you will need to file an amended return for your 2019 taxes, which will require you to print and mail the return as amended returns cannot be e-filed.   No bank draft will be made related to payment requested on a rejected return.  So no, the IRS won't pull the money out of your account.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My first return was with Free tax and I was notified my return was accepted by the IRS.  I wasn't able to enter my bank information there because I owe some money for state and federal taxes.  I tried to refile with turbo tax thinking I could enter my bank information (for stimulus money).  At the end prior to submitting it said the amounts owed so I entered my bank information.  I didn't select the whole amount but an initial payment for federal and state somehow said they'll direct debit my account for 1,060 on 4/15.  I used the new web portal today to update the IRS with my bank information for stimulus check and it accepted it.  My question is since the IRS accepted my first filing and rejected the second will they take money out of my account for the second filing in which they have my bank account information (if they even saw the 2nd return)?  Thanks.

I want to add that there were 2 options on Turbo Tax.  I used the filing return not the non filing return method. 

If you haven’t filed
your taxes yet this year  This is the selection I used not the non-filers.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies