turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ivannuevo

Will I receive my stimulus check if I used someone else's bank account to receive my Income tax!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

Will I receive my stimulus check if I used someone else's bank account to receive my Income tax!

Will I receive my stimulus check if u used someone else’s account/ direct deposit?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, but the funds will be deposited into that account. You may be able to change by selecting  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments  and select the get my payment option to update your bank account information.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
romoron

Is it illegal for the persons account I used to keep the money? 

The bank should reject the deposit if your name is not on the account.  Then the IRS will mail a check to the address on your return.

@romoron wrote:

Is it illegal for the persons account I used to keep the money? 

Many banks will reject a deposit if the name on the deposit is not the account owner, but not all.   If the bank accepts the deposit then you will have a problem if the account owner keeps the money.   You might need an attorney.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

IRS scheduled to mail a relative stimulus check November the 16th I was wondering can they put in my banking info to have thier money deposited into my account is it to late and if so then can we still give them my account info for next time.

@Pin1Pin2Pin3 

The bank is supposed to refuse a check that comes to your account in someone else's name.  Then it goes back to the IRS and the IRS issues a paper check and mails the check to the last known address for the person.  It is NEVER a good idea to use someone else's bank account--especially for a check from the IRS.  And no--you cannot call the IRS and ask them to change it now.

Here is what the IRS says about entering incorrect banking information

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I had my stilus check deposited into my friends  bank why did irs take it back out of my friends account.

@donnacollins Never use someone else's bank account.   The bank will not accept deposits to an account in someone else's name.  They send it back and then the IRS mails a check to the address on your last tax return---which delays your money for several weeks.  Get your own account.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901159-can-i-deposit-my-tax-refund-into-someone-else-s-account

Here is what the IRS says about entering incorrect banking information

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Hello, thanks for your responses. I need some related advice please. You said:

"Many banks will reject a deposit if the name on the deposit is not the account owner, but not all. "

This is my case. I didn't know that it was not recommended to enter my trusted friend's account credentials for direct deposit of my stimulus check. I did enter his account and routing number, and the money was deposited without delay. The bank apparently didn't reject it. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cause any problems. My friend has my money and wants to send it to me, but he doesn't know if its OK to transfer it now that we've both read up on this issue. He doesn't want to get in trouble for any reason with the IRS or something, and I understand that.

Is it OK for my friend to route the money to me? Will he get in any kind of trouble? The bank accepted the deposit, and the money is sitting in his account. Thank you so much.

No your friend will not be in trouble if he gives you the money.   In the future, use an account that is in your own name.

Pumacash

What bank did your friend have?

cstevense8
Returning Member

My cousin used my account routing number and got his direct deposited to my account and I transferred him the money if my routing number is also on file for my stimulus check will there be a problem?

Bani2sick

So I deposited my stimulus check  of $600 to my bfs bank account and I got  a copy of the check sent back by mail. Can I use that copy of the stimulus check to deposit on my account or the bank won’t take it because it’s a copy of the check? The copy of the check it says “This is a legal copy of your check. You can use it the same way you would use the original check.” 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies