turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vpolk420

Will I get a stimulus check?

I filed my 2019 taxes as single. I accidentally  checked the  box that says someone can claim me as a dependent.  I am 24 and I make over 4000 a year.  No one has claimed me on their taxes or plans to in the future. I live on my own and work a full time job. I am no a student. Will I get a stimulus  check  or do I have to amend my taxes to get one?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

You will not. If you claimed yourself as a dependent, you are no longer eligible. You should immediately amend your return to remedy this situation before your information is processed through the IRS system when scanning for eligible recipients. The sooner you amend your return, the better.
I know it's not the information you want to hear, but I'm glad I saw this when I did. I don't want you to miss out if you aren't a dependent, but you accidentally filed as one! Also, this will take away from your EICredit.
Make haste friend! Amend ASAP. You will, however, have to wait about another month to see that 1200.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Yes, as Champ Digital_Bear_Jedi said, you can file an amended return to be independent. Send in the amended returns for the federal and the state via certified mail so you have proof of the mailing. Click the link for instructions: How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

To confirm you do not qualify as a dependent, check 2019 Publication 501 Dependents, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information on page 4 and page 11 to determine if you are or are not qualified to be a dependent as a qualifying child or as a qualifying relative.

In the meantime, you can visit the following links for the most recent updates:

IRS Coronavirus Tax Relief

TurboTax Corona Virus Tax Center Updates

@vpolk420

I am in the same boat here. 23 years old and accidentally said someone can claim me on my 2019 form. I was claimed in 2018 but lived alone in 2019. I am sending my amended 1040x form via certified mail tomorrow but wouldn’t this take months for me to receive a stimulus check let alone my proper refund amount? Thank you

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

You are correct. This will delay your stimulus payment (as long as you are determined to be eligible). 

@Roysen96

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies