Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is my federal return still pending ?

I e filed my federal return 3 months ago why is it still pending?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

If the status says 'pending' it just means that your return has not been accepted or rejected by the IRS.  

Try checking the status of your Federal refund through the IRS Where's My Refund tool:  IRS -- Where's My Refund?

Also, see the following TurboTax article:  Where's My Tax Refund:  How to check your refund status

​​​​​​​@mrc1956

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

71 Replies

Same here, I e-filed and was accepted on January 29th. Still nothing from the IRS and TurboTax is no help. They were happy to take my money though

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

If the status says 'pending' it just means that your return has not been accepted or rejected by the IRS.  

Try checking the status of your Federal refund through the IRS Where's My Refund tool:  IRS -- Where's My Refund?

Also, see the following TurboTax article:  Where's My Tax Refund:  How to check your refund status

​​​​​​​@mrc1956

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

i paid the irs the money i owe them they have taken out of my acct

my federal returns have been pending since January 7th 2021, and when I went to wheres my refund it couldn't find any record of my e-file being placed

@MamanChris wrote:

my federal returns have been pending since January 7th 2021, and when I went to wheres my refund it couldn't find any record of my e-file being placed

The tax return will remain as Pending until the IRS starts accepting or rejecting 2020 tax returns on February 12, 2021.

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.
See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

Why my tax refund still pending

@walla1965 wrote:

Why my tax refund still pending

You will have to wait for the IRS to start accepting or rejecting 2020 tax returns on February 12, 2021

is yours still pending? 2/12 is long since past.  Mine still says pending as well 

Mine is still pending as well. Mine was e-filed on 2/12/21

Mine is still pending as well and i efiled in January. 

nickprov

2021 return filed with TurboTax on 2/3/21. On 2/17/21, it still says e-file PENDING. My ex filed hers on 2/12 with TurboTax and it went right through and she got the IRS email that it was accepted. From this thread I'm clearly not the only one held up in TurboTax queue limbo. Can someone provide an update? I understand it was a Federal Holiday on 2/15, but 3 business days have gone by since the IRS started accepting returns.

I’ve tried calling turbo tax on multiple occasions.  Never getting to talk to a live person.  All I get is “your return is pending ,once accepted visit the IRS website!  There is no way to recall a pending return.  I have no idea where to turn to either.  There is obviously a batch stuck somewhere as I had also done another return on 2/15 and got immediate acceptance! 

I filed jan 20th and mine is still pending as well I finally got a hold of someone at turbo tax after being on hold for a hour and they said to call back in a couple day’s if it hasn’t been accepted. Not helpful at all. Everyone around me filed after me and has already been accepted.

Same thing I’m finding.  I have never gotten to speak to a live person.  The stupid recording just keeps telling me to check my status online.....duh!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies