Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mwharton2

Why is my colorado state still pending

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

234 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Colorado just started accepting e-files today, so please give the state 24-48 hours to accept yours.   From Colorado Department of Revenue:

LAKEWOOD, Monday, February 12, 2024 — Taxpayers can now file income tax returns for 2023 and the Colorado Department of Revenue, Taxation Division has a few tips to make the process easier and help Coloradans receive their returns as quickly as possible.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I filed April 1, 2024.  It now April15. It still states Pending.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

I assume you mean February 1, 2024.

Since the State of Colorado opened late for accepting returns, they have been quite backlogged in accepting them. Please be patient and allow the Agency to process the large number of returns that came thought to them all at the same time.

Filed Feb 12th. Still pending as of the 15th. I think they are backlogged so I am not panicking yet. 

I filled with TurboTax on Tuesday. The Federal return accepted within minutes of e-file. My Colorado Return still has not been accepted with no update.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Usually state refunds are not processed as quickly as the federal refund. To find out more information, contact the Colorado Dept of Revenue here.

@Darylbl1 

Colorado Revenue Non responsive and non existent 

I think a bunch of us are in the same boat.  When you go to check the refund status, this is buried near the bottom of the screen:

"Allow up to 30 business days from mailing for receipt of paper returns or date of submission for receipt of electronically filed returns."

So...dig in folks.  It could be awhile.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Since the State of Colorado opened late for accepting returns, they have been quite backlogged in accepting them. Please be patient and allow the Agency to process the large number of returns that came thought to them all at the same time.

They are processing them in the order they were received. 

Colorado Dept of Revenue

Filed 02/04 PM. Today is 02/17 and still pending. Why? With e-filing I don't understand why it is still pending this much later. 

I am in the same boat you are.

So glad our Public Servants are taking the Holiday off on Monday 

That simply cannot be true. I filed mine on 2/2/2024, which was essentially the earliest possible date because of the need to wait for filing documents from banks, government entities, etc., and mine has still not even been accepted as of 2/17/2024. There is no way that my return could still be awaiting initial acceptance after 15 days if the state were truly utilizing a FIFO method. There is more to this story than meets the eye, and I'm tired of seeing the same lame excuse being repeated over and over. I'm not even convinced that the delay doesn't have something to do with TurboTax's transmission system, which is quite opaque. Exactly WHERE is my return queued up for acceptance - in the state's system or in TurboTax's system? I have yet to see even a single user report that a Colorado state return has been accepted. There are good reasons to believe that the problem is not with Colorado, but with TurboTax.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

The state of Colorado did not begin accepting returns until February 12, 2024. Returns filed prior to that date were held securely until the state opened their e-filing systems for receipt.

This means that they have been processing them only 5 days at the time of this post, not 15.  

They have asked taxpayers to allow two weeks to clear the backlog.  

You completely missed my point. I already understood that Colorado delayed processing returns until 2/12/2024. My point is that I filed at one of the very earliest opportunities to do so, and my return is still languishing in the system, so it is essentially impossible that a FIFO system is being employed. I have lived in Colorado for almost 30 years, and used TurboTax to file my state returns for almost every single one of those years, and I have NEVER had to wait this long for my return to even be accepted. In fact, when I have filed my returns in the past, my experience has almost always been that it is at the very least accepted within an hour or two after it is electronically transmitted. I have no way of knowing whether or not TurboTax has actually even attempted to transmit my return, and I seriously doubt that Colorado would require 5 days to catch up on returns that were filed by February 2nd. Something fishy is going on, and I don't know who is responsible.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies