Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why does the irs website say my information doesn’t match when I go to look up my refund I filed over 3 days ago and it says they accepted my return

Sadly, the IRS refund site has been behaving erratically and has not always reliable this year.   TurboTax has no control over this and cannot find out anything about your refund for you.

TurboTax gives you an estimated date for receiving your refund based on a 21 day average from your date of acceptance, but it can take longer.  “21 days”  is not a promise from TurboTax or the IRS.   Many refunds are taking longer during the pandemic.  The IRS is backlogged —-they are still trying to process millions of 2019 returns; they received millions of e-filed on the day they opened for 2020 returns, and now they are burdened with sending out another round of stimulus checks.   

Some delays are resulting from incorrect amounts that folks entered for stimulus checks they received.   Many people have been confused by the recovery rebate credit and completed it incorrectly.  The IRS may delay your refund while they cross-check to see what you received.

First, check your e-file status to see if your return was accepted: 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control.  TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 34of your 2020 Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901548-why-do-some-refunds-take-longer-than-others

If you chose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund, that will take some extra time, while the third party bank handles the refund processing.

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2840013-does-accepted-mean-my-refund-is-approved

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2724106-my-return-is-accepted-but-still-not-approved-is-there-a-pr...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/taxes/the-irs-is-behind-in-processing-nearly-7-million-tax-returns-s...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Why does the irs website say my information doesn’t match when I go to look up my refund I filed over 3 days ago and it says they accepted my return

I got ahold of the irs today and it's been 33 days since I've filed. And 30 since accepted. The guy said it didn't happen to everyone everyone and he can't explain why it happened to some and not all but the program some reason flagged refunds due to the stimulus and the system thinking it was a double refund (fraud) so it will take up to 10 weeks for a refund to anyone this happened to 

Nope no luck 

If I have to wait 10 weeks I will scream! I haven't recvd my 2nd stimulus check and I really need my tax refund. I pray it doesn't take that long! 

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

When returns are electronically filed and accepted by the IRS, refunds are processed within 21 business days after IRS acceptance of the electronically filed return. 

You can check again the IRS website under Refunds tab to check the status of your return.  You must enter primary SSN, filing status, and the gross amount of the refund. to check the  status of the return.  Otherwise, you will get a message either information not found or it doesn't match.

nmbradybunch
Returning Member

Thank you for posting that phone #. When I originally used the track my refund tool, I kept getting that it was it still in progress. I went back to check and now it tells me that my information doesn't match!! I have tried setting up and account on the irs website and again I get some sort of error, When i called the number I finally got a still in process message at least I know that I exist. Thank you again 

No, that's not correct. You can put all your info in correctly and you still get an error that it's wrong. The IRS hasn't updated their system yet with our information, The IRS website, 800 plus IRS TOGO is all the same. it's usless. 

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

According to the IRS, updates to Where’s My Refund status is delayed for some.  I suggest calling the Where's My Refund automated hotline instead: 1-800-829-1954; you may have a better chance of getting your refund status this way. 

If you're still unsuccessful in getting your refund status, just remember that Covid-19 continues to cause delays in some of the IRS processes.  I would suggest checking back periodically.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yea it is definitely taking longer than 21 days....It was accepted on Feb 13th and I still don't have a date yet

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Help and guidance on if your refund is taking more than 21 days has been provided by clicking here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Try reading this for the people that are delayed I am delayed too. And my wmr app said for days incorrect info. Now it's just at a processing screen. Read this though it makes sense. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/03/12/irs-tax-refund-delays/

I got in touch with someone again from the IRS. My tax refunded had to get adjusted and I'm actually getting more money back. They said they are looking over everyone's taxes to make sure we did it correctly. I guess I missed something and it changed my refund money amount so they sent me a letter and held my refund. My refund will post Friday 3-20. He said they hold the refund so the letter has time to reach us. Thank God they caught it. It's more money in my account. It was my Market place Ins that messed me up. Also, they check to make sure people are not claiming more stimulus money "that's fraud" and people who did will have that amount deducted from their return. That will hold up the refund time too. He said my 3rd stimulus money will go into my account tomorrow or by Friday 3-20 and m,y refund will be there by Friday too. 

Forgot to add stimulus money to taxes

The IRS updates its tool to show taxpayers where and how EIP funds will be delivered once they have issued a payment. If you are seeing a status that indicates your payment status is unavailable it means that either the IRS has not yet issued your payment OR you are not eligible for a stimulus payment. Although you may want to check the tool regularly, the payment status is only updated once per day.

@Farolyn1

I dont know wht is wrong and what to di

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies