turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why am I not being given the option to apply for a refund advance loan? Only given the option to receive a refund by direct deposit

I’m receiving a refund of $6500. I’m 49 years old. I’ve been filing with TurboTax for several years.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

Why am I not being given the option to apply for a refund advance loan? Only given the option to receive a refund by direct deposit

https://turbotax.intuit.com/refund-advance/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Refund Advance eligibility

The Refund Advance won’t impact your credit at all. Here are the eligibility requirements to qualify for Refund Advance loan.
  • Your federal refund is $500 or more (excluding any Recovery Rebate Credit).
  • You are 18 or older.
  • You cannot be a resident of North Carolina or Illinois
  • You are e-filing your federal tax return with TurboTax
  • Your physical address is the address listed on your tax return. It cannot be a P.O. Box or a prison address. Your address must be located in the United States and be from the eligible list of states for the Refund Advance program.
  • You are not filing one of these tax forms: 1310, 1040SS, 1040PR, 1040X, 8888, or 8862
  • You can’t file on behalf of a deceased taxpayer.
  • You also must be approved for a Turbo® Visa® Debit Card by Green Dot Bank, Member FDIC, the issuer of the card
  • You must report income on a Form W-2, 1099-R , Sched C, or Sched CEZ.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks but I’ve already read that three times and read it again just now that still doesn’t answer my question but thanks anyway

@melaniedaniel540 If the loan is not being offered to you then you do not meet one of the requirements,  Sorry,  It has to be offered---you cannot apply,   And you cannot change it after you e-file,

Thanks. To my knowledge I meet all the requirements so I don’t understand why I’m not being offered the advance refund loan. I’ve been a TurboTax customer for years but will probably have to take my taxes this year to a competitor that offers this loan option to me 😔

Boobiee17

I am having the same issue. Is there a way that I can set up for the advance loan ? I have been getting it ever since I have been with turbo 

Boobiee17

I meet all of the requirements and still am not being able to get the advance.

@Boobiee17 

REFUND ADVANCE LOANS

No-one in the user forum can see your information, so we cannot tell you why you did not qualify for the advance.   It might have something to do with the state you live in, or you might have some other disqualifying reason—-we cannot see nor can we exert any control over it.

Refund Advance eligibility

Here are some of the eligibility requirements to qualify for a Refund Advance loan:

• You’re 18 or older
  • You’re not a resident of North Carolina, Connecticut, or Illinois
  • You’re e-filing your federal tax return with TurboTax
  • Your physical address is listed on your tax return. Your address must be located in one of the eligible states and can’t be a PO box or prison address
  • You’re not filing one of these tax forms: 1310, 4852, 4684, 4868, 1040SS, 1040PR, 1040X, 8888, or 8862
  • You aren’t filing on behalf of a deceased taxpayer
  • You must report income on a Form W-2, 1099-R , Sched C, or Sched CEZ

The refund loan will not be available until later in January when you can e-file your 2021 return.   The money for the loan is not given to you until the IRS ACCEPTS your e-file.  The IRS will not begin to accept e-files until January 24.

You cannot apply for the refund loan.  It has to be offered to you, and you have to agree to the terms—-which have changed since last year——so read some information——and pay attention to the details in the fine print …  https://turbotax.intuit.com/refund-advance/

I am having this issue as well so someone needs to step up to looking to this. 

ee-ea
Level 15

I'm not even getting an option for it.

ee-ea
Level 15

Manage cookies