turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

While preparing amended return, I realized that I am now missing the receipt for one of my charitable donations. Should I remove the donation when I amend the return?

Note: The amendment has nothing to do with the charitable donation deduction. I am amending the return to include missing carryover capital losses.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

While preparing amended return, I realized that I am now missing the receipt for one of my charitable donations. Should I remove the donation when I amend the return?

That is allowed if you believe you will not be able to support the deduction in an audit situation. 

We combined two houses and gave a house full of furniture and home goods to Purple Heart.  They picked up multiple truck loads and left two separate receipts.  I entered as two separate donations with different dates.  I can only find one of the receipts.   I do have a spreadsheet that I used to inventory and value all of the items.

Again your decision ... if you are audited can you support your position at that time.  Will the auditor believe your story.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The spreadsheet, together with the one receipt and a copy of this discussion, should be enough to convince an auditor that you made the donation. I would not remove it. Save everything until three years after you file the amended return.

To print this thread, click the down arrow on the far right at the very top of the thread, to the right of the advertisement. On the drop-down menu click Printer Friendly Page.

you would produce a receipt only if you are audited.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies