turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

atv6981

Where do I find my signature page if I e-filed? My return simply states "self-prepared".

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Where do I find my signature page if I e-filed? My return simply states "self-prepared".

There is no signature on an e-filed tax return. You didn't sign the tax return when you filed it. If someone is asking you for a signed copy of your tax return, print a copy of the tax return, sign it with a pen on page 2 of Form 1040, and give them the signed copy.

A lot of lenders and college financial aid offices seem to be surprisingly ignorant about how e-filing works.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

When you e-File your return is presumed to be signed.

@atv6981 

Your e-filed tax return is electronically signed when e-filed with the 2020 AGI.  The tax return using the TurboTax DIY software is self-prepared by the the user of the software.

The tax return is only physically signed in ink on page 2 of the Form 1040 if the return is mailed to the IRS.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

There is no signature on an e-filed tax return. You didn't sign the tax return when you filed it. If someone is asking you for a signed copy of your tax return, print a copy of the tax return, sign it with a pen on page 2 of Form 1040, and give them the signed copy.

A lot of lenders and college financial aid offices seem to be surprisingly ignorant about how e-filing works.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies