turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I amend my return on the TurboTax app?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Have you actually e-filed your return?  Did you hit the Transmit/Submit button?  (or Did you Print and Mail your return?)

If so, You need to WAIT until you find out if your return has been REJECTED or ACCEPTED.

Then it is BEST if you wait until you actually receive the refund (or payment due is taken from your account) based on your already filed return;  then you can start the amendment process

If it has been rejected then you can simply make the corrections required to fix the rejection AND at the same time add the new information, and re-submit your CORRECTED e-filed return.

If it has been accepted you will have to prepare and mail an amended return ---BUT WAIT until you receive your refund before filing the amended return.

A Form 1040-X amended return MUST be PRINTED and MAILED; and usually takes 3-4 months to be processed.  Form 1040-X is usually not available until mid-February.

Perhaps some terminology/definitions would be in order:

AMEND:- your return is what you do AFTER your return has been filed and accepted by the IRS and/or state.  (No additional charge)

CHANGE:- your return is what you do BEFORE your return has been filed --simply go back to the respective information and change it as needed.

CORRECT:- your return is what you do AFTER you attempted to file your return and it is rejected by either IRS, or state --again, simply go back to the respective information and change it as needed.

Above all  DO NOT DO ANYTHING until you find out if your return is rejected or accepted.

NOTE:  When mailing a printed return it is always a good idea to go to the Post Office and mail it 'Certified' with 'Return Receipt'.  That way you will have proof that they received it and when it was received.

2017redo

I efiled 2017 and it was rejected. I need to try again in the app and send in the paper file and hope. HOw do I start in the app? I downloaded my original return. I want to re-enter and correct some info. I can't see how to get started, there is no selection for efiled and rejected

@2017redo No.   You do not amend a rejected return.  Amending is a special process used for a return that has been filed and fully processed,  Do not click on anything that says amend---amending is NOT appropriate for your rejected return.

The only way you can file the 2017 return is to print it , sign it and mail it.  It cannot be e-filed.  If you have changes to make then those changes have to be made using downloaded desktop software,   

Online tax preparation and e-filing for 2017 returns is now permanently closed.   If you have any changes/corrections at all to make to your 2017 return, you now have to complete it using desktop software, which you must download to a full PC or Mac  (not to a mobile device).Then you need to print, sign and mail it.   DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING THAT SAYS "amend."

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2559403-how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-started-in-turb...

If you already paid for your online software you can ask customer support for a download of the desktop software.

They are available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time Monday-Friday.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

If you are getting a refund, there is no penalty for filing late.  If you owe tax due, then file and pay the amount due as shown on the Form 1040, but expect a bill later from the IRS for the penalty and interest you will owe.  Only the IRS will calculate this—TurboTax will not calculate it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies