turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will 2020 Return be available on Turbo Tax to Amend?

I'll check again in a week or so.

Turbotax premier 2020 (MacOS)

Build: 2020.r23.046

Build date: Mar 27, 2021 at 12:06:24 PM

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 9.11.10 PM.png

What about from an Android phone if I don't have a home computer or laptop?

@Moonsgirl1 wrote:

What about from an Android phone if I don't have a home computer or laptop?

Mobile devices use the TurboTax online editions.

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax returns and documents, select 2020, then Amend (change) your return.
    1. If you only see the option to amend 2019 or earlier, it's because you can't amend an unfiled 2020 return. Instead, select Pick up where you left off so you can make any changes before you file.
  3. Carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal for amended returns.

That does not work!! I've already received my refund, I got another W2 and a 1099G after I transmitted my return. I didn't report the unemployment on my original tax return because I didn't have the information to enter. I need to file an amendment Asap!!! 

@Moonsgirl1 wrote:

That does not work!! I've already received my refund, I got another W2 and a 1099G after I transmitted my return. I didn't report the unemployment on my original tax return because I didn't have the information to enter. I need to file an amendment Asap!!! 

See this TurboTax support FAQ if you cannot start an amended tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amend-tax-return/help/why-can-t-i-amend-my-return/01/2122917

I also spoke to an IRS agent earlier and read off the message on turbotax saying I'm unable to file an amendment at this time because of the unexpected Tax Credit Break implemented by the new American Relief Plan, and she said, she didn't understand why Turbotax has that message up. I am unable to go past that! I actually started amending my 2020 return, and got booted out, back onto that message. 

Exactly and all they keep doing is telling everybody that it’s available and they can go do it but no one can and when I was on the phone with them earlier yesterday they were telling me that we could do it they don’t know why it’s saying that

The agent is uninformed.    The IRS does not want amended returns with a 1099-G for unemployment at this time until they issue guidelines how to amend other related items because the IRS is going to adjust already filed returns themselves for the unemployment exclusion  and they do not want an amended return doing the same thing.

Since amended returns are currently taking 4-6 months to process, the IRS's internal adjustment will have happened long before the amended return is even processed.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

No you are incorrect. The IRS put out guidance stating “There is no need for taxpayers to file an amended return unless the calculations make the taxpayer newly eligible for additional federal credits and deductions not already included on the original tax return.” this was put out several days ago. 

people are frustrated eith Turbotax because they promised March 25th but for those like me with unemployment and newly qualified for EIC, I must amend. 

My return was submitted and I have already received my refund.  I need to amend my return due to late 1099s.  Nothing to do with unemployment, which seems to be the holdup.  TurboTax said they would have the form available by March 25, which has now come and gone, and still no form.  Ridiculous. 

everytime ive called they tell me there waiting on irs to approve the forms when i go through the irs they say it should aready be done because irs gave everyone the ok to amend returs the only app who cant is turbotax so im never filing here again this is ridiculous there not helping anyone not giving info out they just play the blame game ane every expers or anyone that replies to these just gives instrustions of were to find amend retrs not why we cant 

@drfee1good420 wrote:

everytime ive called they tell me there waiting on irs to approve the forms when i go through the irs they say it should aready be done because irs gave everyone the ok to amend returs the only app who cant is turbotax so im never filing here again this is ridiculous there not helping anyone not giving info out they just play the blame game ane every expers or anyone that replies to these just gives instrustions of were to find amend retrs not why we cant 

The 2020 Form 1040-X federal amended tax return was made available across all TurboTax platforms, online and desktop, on 03/26/2021.

However, due the changes in the tax code made by Congress in the middle of the tax season some amended tax returns cannot be filed at this time since the IRS has not provided guidance on some aspects of the changes.  Unemployment compensation is one of the reasons the amended return cannot yet be filed.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for not being able to amend a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amend-tax-return/help/why-can-t-i-amend-my-return/01/2122917

then why as im on phone with irs there saying that i should be able to log into turbotax rn and amend my return as they say i need to do so i can get my returns

DoninGA: i am so tired of the higher levels blanket statements. IRS gave their guidance on 3/31. There are certain people with unemployment that need to amend. Messed up part is it is already calculated on the top part of my screen and has been for weeks. For some reason Turbotax has not released the ability to amend. They know certain people have to amend because I got supervisor conformation hours ago but not sure why I can’t. Told wait and see. 

i got off phone with the turbotax april 3 at 4:27 pm said that there waaiting on irs guidence but when i spoke to irs yesterday after 134 tries at calling before it went through at 2:46pm  they tell me turbotax is the problem irs already aprovved it then i just spoke with turbotax again they said its because there updating unemployment forms again but they dont know how long itll be because new laws how is irs gonna say that they approved it yall saying its they havent  no agents are helping just reapeting same info over and over and over

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies