turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to find out where my paper 2020 tax filing is

I used Turbo Tax but I was required to submit hard copy.  I sent in both State (CA) and Federal on 4/8/2021.  It turns out that I forgot to sign the documents.  State was processed (I supposed because I owed and attached a check.)  Federal sent back (8wks later) to be signed and returned, of which I did promptly.  Ever since I have not been able to verify the status.  About a month ago, I was finally able to talk to an agent live (spent literally all day trying to contact them, on hold and getting hung up on)  and they said they received it but haven't processed it.   Then I got cut off!  I have not been able to verify and information since.  When I log on to my IRS account it still shows that "Your 2020 Tax Return Is Not Processed. The due date has passed. If you've already filed, processing usually takes 21 days (electronic returns) or six weeks (paper returns).

It's been over 7 months!  I need to access the return data to submit my daughters FAFSA.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you 🙂

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Ok ... here is the scoop.  A data input operator opened the original return you send and  looked at the  signature section FIRST and since you did not sign it the return was sent back to you for a signature ... nothing was entered into the system at that time since an unsigned return is invalid.   

Once you mailed the return back  the envelope is opened again and the data input operator finally enters it into the system and the processing time of 6 months or longer starts at that point not the months earlier when you mailed it in the first time.  So april + 2 months = June + 6 months for processing =  Christmas at best ... don't expect anything sooner and be prepared to wait longer. 

Is there any way to be able to see that they have received it?

Thank you for giving me the scoop!

Did you see the menu item "refunds" on the IRS website?

Nope ... if you did not put tracking on the envelope there is nothing you can do but wait for the return to show up on the WMR?  tool.   This is why you should always  efile the return if at all possible.  

Click on "view your account" to see what the IRS has on file for you.

Thanks, yes it wasn't possible per the direction received from TurboTax when I tried to.

Yep, did that.   Thanks though🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies