Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ricosky

Trying to amend an earlier return ('18), I get two reference codes 5-005-466 and 3-451-977 and 1040X error that my "calculations could not be completed. Any ideas?

`I had short term capital losses from trading cryptocurrency during 2018.  TokenTax provides details on ALL trades and produces a form 8949 with bottom line I can enter into my return.  2019 TurboTax accepts the data, but I don't know how to correctly update my 2018 return to show the info.  The online TurboTax app throws the errors above.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Trying to amend an earlier return ('18), I get two reference codes 5-005-466 and 3-451-977 and 1040X error that my "calculations could not be completed. Any ideas?

if broker supplies you a completed 8949 showing all your activity that is a  detail report.

TurboTax doesn't offer any way to e-File a detail report so if you want to use the 8949 supplied to you, you have to file on paper via US Mail.

For 1040X that's no problem since it has to be mailed anyway.

To add the 8949 use the summary option to enter  the subtotals on your detail 8949.

Then you will have two 8949s to include with form 1040-X, a summary 8949 and a detail 8949.

Keep a copy of the detail 8949 for your records.

In fact,  keep a copy of your submitted  amended return for your records.

ricosky

So I can just ignore the error messages TurboTax is generating?  Do you think it will print fine despite them.

By the way, thanks "hugely" for your prompt answer to my question!  I really  appreciate it!

to amend a return you must print the revised return and examine it carefully until you are satisfied. TurboTax is not very helpful  with this.

When you are satisfied, 1040-X should reflect what you did.

You have to review the 1040-X yourself also.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies