turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lty

How to remove earned income credit in an amendment? Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

To remove Earned Income Credit from an amendment:

If you no longer qualify, and TurboTax is giving you EIC anyway, then you can delete the EIC form by clicking My account > Tools > Delete a form. Look for the Earned Income Credit Worksheet.

If you are qualified to receive EIC, then TurboTax won't let you delete this credit, even if you don't want it, without having serious impact on other parts of your return.

These are the qualifications for EIC.

My wife and I a trying to see if filing as married, but filing separately will gain us more refund or not.  So while doing my wifes taxes, it says that she IS qualified for the EIC and credit is already included in the refund total.  As you stated, TurboTax will not let you delete this credit if you are qualified.  But it clearly states that married couples filing separately DO NOT QUALIFY.  So technically, we don't qualify for this credit.  So I would need to delete this credit worksheet.  Why can't we delete this EIC worksheet?  And better yet, why would TurboTax allow the credit, if we do not qualify?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Do I understand that you are preparing the spouse’s Married Filing Separately tax return?   It is not a Married Filing Jointly tax return?  It is not Head of Household filing status and not Single filing status? 

Have you actually updated the filing status?  See here.

• Down the left side, click My Info.
  • Scroll down to filing status.
  • Click Edit to the right to update.

See this help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
skaw19491

Gentleman is unmarried and lives with the mother of his children.  He claims Head of Household and deductions for the two children, the child tax credits and daycare credits.  The mother's income is much lower but he does not qualify for EIC this year.  He wants her to take it.  She has no problem claiming it on her Turbotax return as EIC/nondependents but I am unable to remove the EIC page from his return and the tax program keeps giving hm the EIC as well.  How can he prevent the program from giving him the EIC?

If he removes the children from the form then he will be removing him as dependents as well.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Only one of them can be Head of Household, the other has to file Single.   Whoever claims the children will list them on their return and claim all of the related credits (child tax, EIC, dependent care, etc.).  You can not split up the tax credits between 2 tax returns.  If she claims the children, they go on her return, as dependents and she takes all of the credits.  Also, if she claims the children, he needs to remove them from his return.   Each child should be listed on only 1 tax return.  

They can each claim a child, but since they live in the same household, only one can be Head of Household.    The EIC non-dependent status does not apply to an unmarried couple that lives together as they are both custodial parents and no Form 8332 is needed.    That status is only for children of divorced or separated parents.   @skaw19491

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
skaw19491

Turbotax says (on the section that says "Learn More") LIVING TOGETHER BUT NOT MARRIED-  "If two people live together either parent can claim the credit, also make sure that only one parent is claiming the child as a dependent and is filing Head of Household.  H & R block has also told me that one parent can file Head of Household and claim the tax credits and additional tax credits while the other parent can take the earned income tax credit without claiming the children s dependents if the two are not married but are living together.  The IRS website says the same thing.  I am waiting for my CPA to call back tomorrow to clear up this confusion.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies