turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The amount that TurboTax said I should receive for my state tax differed significantly from what I actually received as a refund.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

The amount that TurboTax said I should receive for my state tax differed significantly from what I actually received as a refund.

Did you receive more -- or less?   The state does not tell TurboTax anything when they change your refund.   They will send you  a letter.

MY STATE REFUND WAS LESS THAN I EXPECTED

The state will send you a letter explaining the change.  TurboTax does not get any feedback from your state after your return is accepted, so no one at TT knows why your state refund was less.   Did you owe back taxes, child support, or student loans?  Traffic fines, etc.?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Much less.. Letter received from the state requesting receipt of all tax docs, which I provided. State then adjusted the amount and sent the smaller refund. All of the same docs were submitted (and filed directly) through TurboTax so I'm just confused as to how the program said I would receive so much more. Nothing previously owed to the state, back taxes , fines, etc.  

The information flows from the federal return to the state return.   Better check the entries that were made when you prepared your federal return to see if you keyed in an incorrect amount from a W-2 or some other income document.   Look closely at what you entered from boxes 16 and 17 of your W-2(s).

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I appreciate the responses - thank you for trying to assist with this!

However, I don't see any entry errors and there were no issues with my Federal return - it matched exactly as stated by TurboTax.. I'm at a bit of a loss here

Only your state can explain----call the state to get an explanation if you do not get a detailed letter from them.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies