turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxes Already Filed And Amended Return For Stimulus

My brother filed his taxes already and got his refund but he didn't realize that he forgot to file 2 W-2 forms that showed up in his mailbox later. He is going to have to use the stimulus portal to give the IRS his information since he had opted for a check in the mail. Would he have to enter the amount he got back from his refund and AGI from his first initial tax return that he filed or would he have to add both the refund amount he got back from the first check plus the refund amount from the amended return? And would that also apply to the AGI? (He is waiting on his second deposit from his amended return.)

From my understanding, the IRS is taking steps to verify information when the portal is available and will need the amount you got back or the amount you owe them. You will also have to enter your AGI. So I really don't know if he should enter the amount that he got back already or if he has to enter that amount plus his amended amount. I'm just trying to help because he called me and didn't know about the portal until I told him.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

It depends on if his amended return has been received by the IRS. It can take up to three weeks for an amended return to show up in the IRS system after it has been mailed. Please view this IRS link and follow the directions to track your amended return. However, you do not add the original AGI with the AGI on the amended return. The amended return replaces the original return.

You should use the original return information if the amended return has not yet shown up in the IRS database. Otherwise, use the amended return information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

It depends on if his amended return has been received by the IRS. It can take up to three weeks for an amended return to show up in the IRS system after it has been mailed. Please view this IRS link and follow the directions to track your amended return. However, you do not add the original AGI with the AGI on the amended return. The amended return replaces the original return.

You should use the original return information if the amended return has not yet shown up in the IRS database. Otherwise, use the amended return information.

Thank you!

KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

You're welcome!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies