Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JPM854

Tax Due on Underpayment

I have calculated interest due to 09/15/2021 on underpayment of taxes due on 04/15/2021.  Where do I report the interest on my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Tax Due on Underpayment

You don't.  Turbo Tax will calculate an estimated penalty for underpayment on 1040 line 38.  Then the IRS will send you a bill (or refund) for any more.  Let the IRS bill you.  Your calculation might not match the IRS.  

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Tax Due on Underpayment

You don't.  Turbo Tax will calculate an estimated penalty for underpayment on 1040 line 38.  Then the IRS will send you a bill (or refund) for any more.  Let the IRS bill you.  Your calculation might not match the IRS.  

Tax Due on Underpayment

Interest paid in 2021 will be reported on 2021 tax return.

Tax Due on Underpayment

Any IRS interest actually paid does not go on any tax return.  It is not reported or deductible.   Now if the IRS paid you some interest for sending you a refund late the interest is taxable income the year you received it.

JPM854

Tax Due on Underpayment

Good advice--thanks!

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Tax Due on Underpayment

@JPM854 wrote:

I have calculated interest due to 09/15/2021 on underpayment of taxes due on 04/15/2021.

Taxes were due 5/17/21. The payment deadline was extended for this year only. Let the IRS calculate the interest.

@JPM854 wrote:

Where do I report the interest on my return?

There is no place on the tax return to report the interest. Just pay what the tax return says you owe (Form 1040 line 37). The IRS will send you a bill for the interest. If it's a small amount they might not bother collecting it.

Tax Due on Underpayment

@DanPaul02 you don't get a deduction for interest paid on a late payment penalty.

Tax Due on Underpayment

your calculations will be wrong for a1040. any balance owed was due 5/17/2021. let the IRS figure it.  if it's small enough they might not even bill you because the cost of sending out the bill would be more than the bill itself. also, we're not sure what penalty you're referring to. there is a penalty for underpayment of estimated taxes and a different penalty for not paying the balance due by the 5/17/2021 due date.  Turbotax only calculated the estimated tax penalty. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies