turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rich4
Returning Member

Support for Turbo Tax Business

After spending time on the phone with an Intuit support rep and trying to resolve an issue where Turbo Tax and IRS calculations disagree, he basically told me that Intuit does not provide support for customers using the Turbo Tax Business software. Is this true? .  How can this be?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

@Rich4 wrote:

After spending time on the phone with an Intuit support rep and trying to resolve an issue where Turbo Tax and IRS calculations disagree, he basically told me that Intuit does not provide support for customers using the Turbo Tax Business software. Is this true? .  How can this be?

I would say that you need to try again and, hopefully, get a different support rep (link below). Intuit does not provide professional tax advice or expert review for the Business product but they do provide support for the operational aspects of the software (which should include support for calculations that are the result of either input or software errors).

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

You have posted several times but have still not provided any additional details whereby a SuperUser or a TurboTax employee could input figures to conduct a test to determine whether your results are spurious or valid.

Rich4
Returning Member

Not sure where or what additional details you need . What additional details would you like to know?

Rich4
Returning Member

Here are the details I supplied on my other post but got no response:

Thank you for the response.  The issue specifically is that I received an IRS Notice CP133 along with a refund check. The IRS explanation for the refund was "We computed your tax using the Alternative Tax because it reduced your tax."  I am assuming that they are referring to the Alternative Minimum Tax because I'm not aware of any other Alternative Tax method.  I have a very simple return and can't see how there could be any confusion. My taxable income is well below the threshold for triggering the the AMT so that calculation should not even come into play.  

I can additionally tell you that the IRS figures for Income, Deductions, Adjusted Gross Income, and Taxable Income agree with what is on the Turbo Tax forms.  The IRS disagrees with the tax due calculation.  Turbo Tax computed that I owe $333 and the IRS says I only owe $99. What other information can I provide you?

@Rich4 wrote:

The IRS disagrees with the tax due calculation.  Turbo Tax computed that I owe $333 and the IRS says I only owe $99. What other information can I provide you?

The exact figures you entered since this is a 1041 (presumably an income tax return for a trust), whether you made any distributions that were reported on a K-1 (or K-1s), or whether this is actually a grantor trust that you were reporting on a 1041 with a GIS (grantor information statement) and you are referring to a discrepancy with your personal income tax return.

Rich4
Returning Member

Here is the data from Turbo Tax Forms, pretty simple return.

This is a Form 1041, complex trust with no distributions to beneficiaries.

Line 1: 4861

Line 2a: 1717

Line 2B (2): 356

Line 4: -758

Line 9: 5820

Line 11: 2547

Line 12: 163

Line 16: 2710

Line 18: 0

Line 20: 100

Line 21: 100

Line 22: 3010

Line 23: 333

Line 28: 333

@Rich4 wrote:

Here is the data from Turbo Tax Forms, pretty simple return.

I ran a test and, sure enough, I get precisely the same figures and tax computation that you posted (see screenshot). I also did the math manually and essentially got the same result. Therefore, I can now only recommend that you contact the IRS and inquire as to how they arrived at their tax computation because TurboTax did not make an error as far as I have been able to determine.

1041taxcomp.png

Rich4
Returning Member

Thanks for checking that out. The IRS notice said that they used the "Alternative Tax" computation to arrive at a lower tax.  I suspected that was an error on their part since that method has no effect until reaching something over $24k but I wasn't sure.  I will be contacting the IRS about this.

Thanks again for your help. 

user7931770
Returning Member

You are correct. The joke is on us.

Rich4
Returning Member

user7391770,

Your response is rather cryptic, could you elaborate?

"You are correct."   -  What specifically is correct?

"The joke is on us." -  Who is "us" and what is the topic of the joke?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies