turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

maryfoster
Returning Member

Stimulus Registration

I was trying to register my bank information for the stimulus payment.  We are required to file a 2019 tax return, however we owe $ so we haven't filed yet.  Same applies for 2018, we owed $.  So IRS didn't have our direct deposit information.  I want to be sure my stimulus registration was not a filing of our 2019 tax return, because it's incorrect if so.    I just wanted to complete this for the purpose of adding our bank information. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Stimulus Registration

If you should have filed 2018 and 2019 and did not, then your income was over the minimums and you should file a return. What you need to do is determined by these circumstances.

The IRS portal states income below $24,400 can register here at IRS non-filers portal.

If you want to file a return for zero income and later amend it, you can file under the Impact Payment Calculator with an option to register as non-filers near the bottom, right side.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
maryfoster
Returning Member

Stimulus Registration

This is still confusing.  All I wanted to do is register my bank information not file a 2019 return.  Our AGI is $108,000 for 2019.  We haven't filed our 2019 tax return yet, as we owe.  How can I fix this?  The IRS portal already states a return is filed. 

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Stimulus Registration

Either the IRS is experiencing some issues with their portal, or a return was indeed filed for you (possible identity theft). 

For portal issues, I would recommend checking it again periodically for the next few days, as there are sure to be some bugs as this is rolled out.

If you do believe there may be an identity theft issue, please click here for resources. 

@maryfoster

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
maryfoster
Returning Member

Stimulus Registration

That is because Turbo Tax filed a 2019 return for the stimulus registration.  I wanted to just register my bank information.  But now when I go to the IRS portal, it gives me an error message.  I guess I shouldn't have used Turbo Tax.  All it did was create a mess.  There was no fraud. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies