turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bann1

State taxes paid with federal return

I think I paid my state taxes with my federal return, but not sure. How do I find the answer? Ty

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Taxes owed cannot be paid with a tax refund, federal or state.  In the File section of the program on Step 2 when there are taxes owe you were given several options on how to pay the taxes owed.  Paying the state taxes owed from a federal tax refund was NOT one of the options.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Taxes owed cannot be paid with a tax refund, federal or state.  In the File section of the program on Step 2 when there are taxes owe you were given several options on how to pay the taxes owed.  Paying the state taxes owed from a federal tax refund was NOT one of the options.

jkelley47

you paid a 40 fee and they pay it for you out of your return

@jkelley47 Sorry---your post is incorrect.   Before some other user reads it, we need to clear up your misunderstanding.  This thread was about paying tax due, not about paying TurboTax fees.   A user can choose to pay the TurboTax fees from a federal refund; when that choice is made, there is an additional "refund processing fee" of $39.00 ($44.99 in CA) so that a third party bank can extract the fees from the refund and send the rest to the user.  

That has nothing to do with with paying federal or state tax due.  When you owe tax due:

If you have federal tax due you can pay by mailing your payment with the 1040V voucher, having the payment taken out of a designated bank account, or you can pay directly on the IRS website.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

You must pay your state tax due using the state’s preferred method of receiving payment.  For most states that will be by making a payment to the state’s own tax website, or by mailing a check or money order.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900884-what-are-my-options-for-getting-my-state-refund-or-for-pay...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies