turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

So I've now missed the second child tax credit and I filled in 2020 and added my son as a dependent so why haven't I been receiving these payments? This is so frustrating

They said because I didn't make enough money that I didn't qualify for the ctc but what does that have to do with the ctc?? It's for my child? And the ctc is to help out the parents ? I just don't understand what's going on
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

So I've now missed the second child tax credit and I filled in 2020 and added my son as a dependent so why haven't I been receiving these payments? This is so frustrating

Did you claim your child as a dependent on a 2020 tax return?    If you did not have enough income earned from working in 2020 you cannot get the child tax credit on your tax return, since getting the CTC on your return does require income earned from working.

That does not mean you cannot get the enhanced child tax credit for 2021.   The tax law changed for 2021.  If you are not receiving the monthly payments you can still get the credit when you file a 2021 tax return next year.  Did you check your eligibility on the IRS site?

This is a brand new system thrown together by the IRS after Congress changed tax laws in the middle of the tax season.  There are going to be bugs, glitches and mistakes made and folks will unfortunately have to be patient until they sort it out.  

If you do not receive the monthly payments you will be able to get the CTC on your 2021 tax return.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/2021-child-tax-credit-and-advance-child-tax-credit-payments-t...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

if you filed a 2020 tax return this year, it's been reported that that can delay your payments if IRS is still looking at your tax return.

When IRS is ready, your payments will be larger so that you get the same expected  amount in 2021 but spread over fewer payments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies