turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sent in taxes yesterday. Claimed the $600. stimulus. BUT received stimulus check in mail yesterday. Help need to amend.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Employee Tax Expert

Sent in taxes yesterday. Claimed the $600. stimulus. BUT received stimulus check in mail yesterday. Help need to amend.

You can cash the check.

If you have already filed your return you will need to wait and see if your return gets accepted or rejected. Please be aware that the IRS currently won't start processing returns until February 12, 2021.

• If your return will be rejected by the IRS, then all you have to do is make the changes to the stimulus payments on your return and refile.
  • If your return gets accepted you will have to wait and see if you receive your refund that includes the additional credit. If yes then you will need to amend your return and send the funds back to the IRS. Please see  FAQ How to amend a tax return for instructions.

But the IRS has not addressed the details yet. They will not open until February 12 and you would not be able to amend until that time and in the meantime, the IRS may establish a guideline. Please see this IRS Recovery Rebate Credit for more information.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JohnW152
Employee Tax Expert

You probably won't need to amend your return.  TurboTax has established a procedure for taxpayers with this same Recovery Rebate Credit situation. 

Please see the TurboTax Help article I've already claimed the Recovery Rebate Credit. How can I review and update my 2020 tax return? for guidance.

The IRS requires you to report all relevant stimulus information when you’re filing your return.

So can we cash the check or no ??

DanaB27
Employee Tax Expert

You can cash the check.

If you have already filed your return you will need to wait and see if your return gets accepted or rejected. Please be aware that the IRS currently won't start processing returns until February 12, 2021.

• If your return will be rejected by the IRS, then all you have to do is make the changes to the stimulus payments on your return and refile.
  • If your return gets accepted you will have to wait and see if you receive your refund that includes the additional credit. If yes then you will need to amend your return and send the funds back to the IRS. Please see  FAQ How to amend a tax return for instructions.

But the IRS has not addressed the details yet. They will not open until February 12 and you would not be able to amend until that time and in the meantime, the IRS may establish a guideline. Please see this IRS Recovery Rebate Credit for more information.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Why cant they just deduct it from my return?  Need money asap.  

You do not have to file an amended and you are perfectly fine with cashing the check you received. They will know (or they should know) that they did cut you a stimulus check and it is not your fault that is was not received until now. They will have to work it out on their end. You are fine.

So I filed in early January and hadn't received the 600$ stimulus for my kids and I, then a week later got it direct deposited. Do I amend my taxes? Will they fix it on their own? Because I still haven't gotten my taxes yet and there is no progress on the irs website. I still haven't gotten the 3rd stimulus check for my children and I either. I dont know if my taxes are effecting that, but I really need all of this money so I'm just looking for answers in what to do?

You can spend the $600 payment and wait for the IRS to resolve it.  They may deduct it from your refund or may ask for it at a later time.  The third stimulus checks started being deposited today, March 17.  Just keep watching the Where's My Refund and the Get My Payment websites.  

American Rescue Plan Act of 2021

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies