Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ArtVandelay12
Returning Member

Security Alert - Someone Is About To File Taxes With My Information

I received an e-mail very early Saturday AM saying: "We've noticed that someone attempted to fill out a tax return using your information with a different account. We are holding the tax return for 48 hours to give you the opportunity to verify it's yours or stop it. If we don't hear from you within 48 hours, this return will be filed in accordance with IRS filing regulations."

My account history says someone (not me) logged in using my info, so the e-mail is legit. I quickly changed my password and activated 2FA.

Here is the problem: TT customer service is closed until Monday AM, so the 48 hours will lapse before I can contact someone, thus this fraudulent return will get filed under my name. Is there any way to prevent the return from getting filed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You have done all you can  do at this time  ... if you have already efiled the 2021 return successfully then any subsequent filing will simply be rejected.  Open your return and see if anything was changed ... if it was you may need to put it back to how you filed.  Hopefully you saved a PDF & .taxfile of the return you filed for safekeeping.  

ArtVandelay12
Returning Member

Thanks for the quick response. I e-filed 2021 federal and state, so yeah fingers crossed that the fraudulent stuff will simply get rejected. Yes I saved everything PDF. 

When TT says someone has my info, what does that mean? Just my SS#, or could they have even more (i.e., did they actually log in to TT with my username, PW, etc.) ?

Could be anything ... if a hacker got into your account then who knows what they accessed.   

Changing the password and turning on the 2 step verification  will secure your account in the future.  

ID theft

You may  also want to take the following steps:

1. (Most important) Follow the IRS procedures for reporting a fraudulent return, documented here: www.irs.gov/uac/Taxpayer-Guide-to-Identity-Theft
  2. Monitor your credit reports through TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian for any suspicious activity.
  3. File a police report with your local law enforcement agency.
  4. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at www.identitytheft.gov or the FTC Identity Theft Hotline at 1-877-438-4338 or TTY 1-866-653-4261.

If your Social Security number is compromised and you know or suspect you are a victim of tax-related identity theft, take these additional steps:

• Respond immediately to any IRS notice; call the number provided.
  • Complete IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit. Then print and mail or fax according to the instructions. 
  • Continue to pay your taxes and file your tax return, even if you must do so by paper.

Additional Resources

The IRS has a host of useful information and resources on tax-related identity theft:

These sites can help you understand identity theft and how to protect yourself:

We're all vulnerable to this crime, but there are additional things you can do that will reduce your risk of becoming a victim.

• If you file by mail, do it at a post office, not from an unlocked mailbox in front of your house.
  • If you file electronically, use a secure computer on a secure network.

Related Information:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies