Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rejection of tax returns

I completed federal and state tax returns yesterday using my TurboTax disc.  I subsequently received an email from you that the federal tax return was rejected and an email that the state tax return consequently was rejected also.

This is what happened in the process of e-filing:
We hit he orange button for e-file but the button didn’t turn from orange to blue and the TurboTax message said the program had to update before we could e-file.  So we updated the program and the message said the update wouldn’t be effective until the computer was rebooted.  So we left the TurboTax program and rebooted the computer, then went back to the orange e-file button and hit the button again.

Question: Did it actually go through the first time and that caused a duplicate copy which caused the rejections?

Today I called IRS and spoke to a lady who said my federal return is accepted and is in process as of today.  She said no email verification will be sent to me from them.

Will I be receiving another email from turbotax/intuit about acceptance of the federal return?

What about acceptance of the state return?  Do I need to call the state also?

I would appreciate answers to these questions.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

Rejection of tax returns

If you went through the entire return and got a message that your return was successfully filed, you should not have to do anything else. It should not be necessary to contact your state department of revenue. To check the e-file status of your return, please click here for instructions.  In regards to duplicate submission, did you get an error code for the rejection? We would need the rejection code to know the reason for rejection. If you prefer to speak with an agent concerning this, please click here to get in contact with customer care.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Rejection of tax returns

Both Federal and State still say Return Rejected.

The blue button says Errors Fixed & Ready to File.

Nothing says that the returns have been accepted.

Rejection of tax returns

I called State of Missouri.  They received my return on 3/2/2020.  Actually, they received it twice.

I don't know why my TurboTax is not updating to Accepted.

This should not be such a hassle!

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

Rejection of tax returns

I can't say for certain what occurred that's contributing to the failure to update in TurboTax.

Since both your federal and state are confirmed accepted, the government will now take over updates.  From this point forward you can track your federal refund status on the IRS Where's My Refund? site.  Refer to the following TurboTax FAQ for your state's refund tracking instructions:  How do I track my state refund? - Community

Rejection of tax returns

Sooo - after I found out that my efile returns were rejected because turbotax software said to file a joint return in light of the fact that my wife passed Mar of 2019 and her ss# was no longer valid, Wala! Bottom line question now is mailing the printed returns even though a message note said in the turbotax filling said not to sent mailings if you already efiled? Does a rejected return notice nullify this situation? I have printed the mail fillings. just don't know whether to mail them or not.

Rejection of tax returns

@hultmang wrote:

Sooo - after I found out that my efile returns were rejected because turbotax software said to file a joint return in light of the fact that my wife passed Mar of 2019 and her ss# was no longer valid, Wala! Bottom line question now is mailing the printed returns even though a message note said in the turbotax filling said not to sent mailings if you already efiled? Does a rejected return notice nullify this situation? I have printed the mail fillings. just don't know whether to mail them or not.

A rejected tax return means the IRS never accepted the tax return, so the return was never entered into the IRS database as being received.

You can mail your tax return without any issue with the IRS.

Rejection of tax returns

TurboTax must have a bug in their software.

Rejection of tax returns

I'm still not happy with what is going on.  I must be in some kind of loop.  If my returns are received and in process why does TurboTax still say Rejected.  When will they be ACCEPTED?

These were the original rejection emails I received:

R0000-902-01 - A tax return has already been filed with the IRS using the same SSN or ITIN.

REJ001 - This state return was rejected because the federal taxing authority has not yet accepted or has rejected the federal return.

If I resend the efiles they will only be rejected again because "a tax return has already been filed with the IRS using the same SSN."

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Rejection of tax returns

You still have the option to mail in your tax return. Here's an article that will offer advice on rejected returns. 

When a tax return can't be e-filed no matter what ... 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies