Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received notice for deficiency notice for 2017. What to do next ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Letter 531 – Notice of Deficiency
You will get this letter if you owe additional tax or other amounts for the tax year(s) listed in the letter. The letter explains how to dispute the adjustments if you do not agree. If you want to dispute the adjustments without payment, you will have 90 days from the notice date to file a petition with the Tax Court.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What Should I Do if I Agree with the Notice of Deficiency?
If you agree with the amendment the Internal Revenue Service has made and you don’t have any additional income, expenses, or credits that you should report, you won’t need to amend your tax return. Simply sign Form 5564, Notice of Deficiency – Waver and send it back to the government agency. If you agree but have additional income, expenses, or credits to claim, you’ll need to amend your original tax return with Form 1040-X.

If you realize the IRS is correct, pay off what you owe as quickly as possible, as it will start accruing interest. If you can’t afford to pay it all immediately, call the IRS notice of deficiency contact number you’ll find on the letter received, and work out a payment plan to avoid further penalties. 

What if I Disagree with the Statutory Notice of Deficiency?
If you think the IRS has received incorrect information or is mistaken, you can contact them with additional information and plead your case. You have 90 days from the date of the notice to dispute the claim by petitioning the Tax Court to reassess the liability proposed by your account’s examining agent. During this time, the IRS cannot assess or perform collections on your accounts.

You should provide the IRS with a written statement that explains the reason for your appeal. It’s wise to consider using the help of a  tax professional before appealing. If you’re incorrect, a tax expert will likely notice it before you appeal and save you time and money. if you’re correct, they can help you better prepare an appeal.

If your appeal proves to be unsuccessful, you’ll be required to pay the disputed amount and file a claim for a refund with the IRS. If they deny your claim, you may choose to file a lawsuit with the United States Court of Federal Claims or federal district court. You can also file a petition with the United States Tax Court to resolve the matter. Depending on where you file, the services of an attorney may be required.  

I missed a 1099, so I under reported income.  Tax assessed at $4700.  I dug out my 2017 copy of Turbotax to file an amended return.  It says I owe $3500 after deductions.  

Where do i report the $4700 that i paid, to get my refund?

thanks.

Look at the form 1040X ... all payments made after filing the original return should be entered on line 16.  You may need to switch to the FORMS mode to make the entry.

Look at the form 1040X …

Column A should have the figures from the original return, Column C the corrected figures and Column B the differences between the other 2 which needs an explanation on page 2 of the form 1040X.

If you completed it correctly you will see an entry on either line 16 OR 18:

On line 16 should be the amount you paid with your original return. 

On line 18 should be the amount of your original refund you received.

Then you will see your extra refund on line 22   OR  the new balance due you need to pay on line 20.

thanks, mate.  I forgot i can enter data in the forms.  turbo tax lulls me to sleep.

so... what about the $300 interest?  I suppose i have to eat that.

thanks again,

-j 

If you are responding to an IRS letter with an amended return then only send in the amount due on the amended return ... if the IRS wants to they will bill you for any penalties & interest later when the dust settles. 

many thanks.  i already sent in the tax plus interest.  when I fill out the form showing tax paid, i will deduct the interest.  They can always give it back.  ;

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies