turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i track my refund while it’s still pending?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

You wrote:  "Can i track my refund while it’s still pending?"

It depends on the context in which you are using the word "pending."

No, if you are referring to the efile status.  If your return has an efile status of "pending", then for most people nothing is going on with it yet.

You can check the efile status periodically by logging back into your online account and checking the status at the Tax Home page.

But you can track the refund process at the IRS level once you get word that your efiled return has been accepted.    Do not use the following IRS tool until at least 24 hours after your efiled return has been accepted, or it may not find it.

https://www.irs.gov/Refunds
NOTE: When using that tool, use only the Federal refund amount, and not any total refund amount that includes a state refund.  The amount to use is on  your Federal Form 1040, Line 21a.

The IRS hasn't opened up return processing yet this year. The IRS doesn't open up to start processing returns until January 27. If you efile before then, your return will just sit on TurboTax servers until the IRS retrieves it on Jan. 27 (except for a few returns that are pulled early for testing purposes.)   If you efiled before January 27 and discover an error you need to correct, you can't retrieve the return. If the IRS accepts the return on or after Jan. 27, then the only way to correct anything is with an amended return.

@shaniyahcotton 

I added some additional info above on how to track your Federal refund status once you get word that your efiled return has been accepted.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies