Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hamm6231

prior year return import

Last year I used ProSeries to file tax returns and switched to the TurboTax Download program this year. Can I import the 2020 ProSeries file into the 2021 TurboTax program to eliminate alot of data entry?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

prior year return import

TurboTax cannot Transfer information from ProSeries or Lacerte accountant programs, however these programs will accept Turbo Tax data transferred into them.

hamm6231

prior year return import

Thanks.

SteveO65
Returning Member

prior year return import

Last year I used turbo tax deluxe & this year I am using Premier. I tried to import my prior year return & I'm getting a message the file is too big? Is there a work around, I have some rental property and it sure would be a benefit?

Appreciate any insights

prior year return import

I think that message is if you try to transfer from the pdf file.  Do you have the file ending in .tax2020 on your computer?    I assume you are using the Desktop program?  

Here's an idea. Do you still have 2020 installed? Try opening 2020 program and see if you can get your 2020 return to show up in it. Go to FILE - OPEN. And see if that is the right one.

Then in the 2020 program do a File-Save AS and give it a easy name you can find or search for. And note where it saves it or select where to save it so you can find it again. The file will end in .tax2020. Then close the 2020 program. Then start a new 2020 return and transfer from the 2020 file.

SteveO65
Returning Member

prior year return import

Appreciate the response, so far I'm still having a problem.

I opened the 2020 return and attempted to SAVE but only option appears to be as a PDF?

I do not seem to have the option to save a file with the extension suggested?

prior year return import

@SteveO65 wrote:

Appreciate the response, so far I'm still having a problem.

I opened the 2020 return and attempted to SAVE but only option appears to be as a PDF?

I do not seem to have the option to save a file with the extension suggested?

With the 2020 TurboTax program opened and the 2020 return continued, click on the File menu at the top left of the desktop program screen.  Click on Save or Save As...

SteveO65
Returning Member

prior year return import

GOT IT !!!

Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies