turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

linzbee
Returning Member

Please help

I have 2 children ages 13 and 11  Im on social security disability which means i dont file taxes. My childrens father has claimed them always. Last year 2019 i worked a little so I filed a tax return as single without children. 2020 I filed taxes as head of household with 2 dependents (my children). They  were rejected due to dad claiming them first even tho i told him that I was. Mailed back my return havent heard anything yet. Guess my question being is should i fill out a non filer account to recieve child credit or just wait till i hear something about my taxes?   

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Please help

Since you have already filed any additional filing would likely be rejected. Wait until your mailed return is processed which unfortunately will take many months. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Please help

DO NOT use the Child Tax Credit Non-filer Sign-up Tool. You are not a non-filer. You filed a tax return.

Please help

If your only income in 2021 is the disability then you are not eligible for the CTC at all ... not in advance and not on the 2021 return.  

linzbee
Returning Member

Please help

Im receiving un employment from last employer . Since im allowed to work with restrictions which I do so I can claim my children. Doesnt seem fair for a "parent" that doesnt not support anything to the children should be able to receive any benefits .I read that it can take up to a year for the matter to be corrected?

Please help

" "parent" that doesnt not support anything to the children should be able to receive any benefits "

A parent not supporting the children and not having custody is not eligible for benefits.

Once your return is approved, and you confirm your status with the IRS via evidence, they will have to pay back any benefits they received for your dependents on that(those) tax year(s).

Please help

"I have 2 children ages 13 and 11  Im on social security disability which means i dont file taxes."

You should always file anyway.

You never know what the congress will come up with.

As they did this year.

linzbee
Returning Member

Please help

ok question again.. I sent all proof back ( court documents from 2010) showing I have residental and primary custody of children. He has claimed the children every year since birth and  I never signed anything stating he could. Will they look into past years or just this year that I filed? 

Please help

If you amend a past return to claim children and credits the IRS will become involved. Otherwise I doubt that they will do any follow up. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies