turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Partial refund thousands short

I was supposed to get around 10k back for my federal taxes instead I get a deposit from the Santa Barbara Bank for only $400!! Has anyone gotten some partial payment that is thousands of dollars less than what you are supposed to get. I do not owe the IRS or any other government agency. No school loans or child support nothing. Im so lost as to why my refund would be this short? IRS website shows my refund as under review with Topic 151 and appeal rights. Anyone have any answers?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Only the IRS has answers. As stated in Topic 151, they will send you information.

The IRS works with taxpayers to try to settle tax disputes in an effort to avoid court proceedings through an administrative appeals process. The role of the Independent Office of Appeals (Appeals) is to make an independent review of a tax dispute and to consider the positions taken by both the taxpayer and the IRS. Appeals strives to resolve tax disputes in a fair way and remain impartial to both parties.

The IRS will send you a report and/or letter that will explain the proposed adjustments or proposed or taken collection action. The correspondence also tells you of your right to request a conference with an Appeals or Settlement Officer, as well as how to make your request for a conference. In addition to examination adjustments, many other things can be appealed, such as penalties, interest, trust fund recovery penalties, liens, levies, and offers in compromise. If you request an Appeals conference, be prepared to support your position with records and documentation.

$10,000 is a rather large refund, so is it possible that you made a data entry error (such as a misplaced comma or decimal) along the way?  Or perhaps forgot to claim some income?  Those, as well as adjustments to the Recovery Rebate Credit, are the most common reasons the IRS changes your refund. 

I have 3 dependents so that amount of a refund isn't that large. It's about the same amount every year. Even if I forgot something it would not account for thousands of dollar difference. They literally gave me $400. I worked all year long and have 3 dependents I claim no way my refund is $400 even if there was some error! Where is the rest of my money! I need to hear from people in similar situation or know what their talking about. I'm not trying to hear anything about an error that would cause over a 9k difference. Uh no. 

@Gabzzz26 wrote:

I have 3 dependents so that amount of a refund isn't that large. It's about the same amount every year. Even if I forgot something it would not account for thousands of dollar difference. They literally gave me $400. I worked all year long and have 3 dependents I claim no way my refund is $400 even if there was some error! Where is the rest of my money! I need to hear from people in similar situation or know what their talking about. I'm not trying to hear anything about an error that would cause over a 9k difference. Uh no. 

What Exactly does it say your refund is on the IRS federal tax refund status website - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

On the IRS website. It says my refund is still processing and being reviewed. At the top of the page it says TAKE ACTION! It states topic 151 and appeal rights. The information provided says the IRS is reviewing my return and if they need any further information I will receive a letter. A lot of other people said theirs said the same thing and they ended up having to prove their identity or their was a small error that had to be changed. The expected refund amount matches what my tax return stated. Even if there is an error there is no way I only would get $400 tax refund. I'm mind blown. Also every year my return comes from IRS it never came from Santa Barbara bank and I always use turbo tax. I am sooooo confused! 

@Gabzzz26 wrote:

On the IRS website. It says my refund is still processing and being reviewed. At the top of the page it says TAKE ACTION! It states topic 151 and appeal rights. The information provided says the IRS is reviewing my return and if they need any further information I will receive a letter. A lot of other people said theirs said the same thing and they ended up having to prove their identity or their was a small error that had to be changed. The expected refund amount matches what my tax return stated. Even if there is an error there is no way I only would get $400 tax refund. I'm mind blown. Also every year my return comes from IRS it never came from Santa Barbara bank and I always use turbo tax. I am sooooo confused! 

You can call the IRS and speak to an agent to find out why you received the amount far less than what is shown on the IRS federal tax refund status website.

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.
Or you can contact your local IRS office. See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment

My problem with this is that their is no amount of money that I would owe that would make my refund thousands of dollars short. I do not owe any money for anything and like I stated before If I made an error on return for there to be an offset it would not amount to such a huge difference. 

@Gabzzz26 wrote:

My problem with this is that their is no amount of money that I would owe that would make my refund thousands of dollars short. I do not owe any money for anything and like I stated before If I made an error on return for there to be an offset it would not amount to such a huge difference. 

Understand your situation.  This may just be a partial refund with the rest to be sent later.  But the only one that can answer your question is an IRS agent.

Sorry I meant to reply to someone above saying that. But yes thank you you have been helpful. Yes hopefully it's just a partial return until that have reviewed it fully! 

wilpa4a

I am experiencing a similar situation. Did the IRS finally send you the rest of your return? If so, did you have to do anything? 

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

@wilpa4a In this public forum we cannot diagnose why your refund has been reduced.  For additional information, please visit the Help Article below or this TurboTax blog.

Why is my direct-deposited refund or check lower than the ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies