turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

on 1120S I put employee's salary in line 7 instead of line 8

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct!

The tax relief for Texas postpones various tax filing and payment deadlines that occurred starting on February 11.

As a result, affected individuals and businesses will have until June 15, 2021, to file returns and pay any taxes that were originally due during this period.

This includes 2020 individual and business returns normally due on April 15, as well as various 2020 business returns due on March 15.

Among other things, this also means that affected taxpayers will have until June 15 to make 2020 IRA contributions.

The June 15 deadline also applies to quarterly estimated income tax payments due on April 15 and the quarterly payroll and excise tax returns normally due on April 30.

It also applies to tax-exempt organizations, operating on a calendar-year basis, that have a 2020 return due on May 17.

When you file a business return, you are signing it as to being accurate and complete.  As you could see above, IRS may use the information that is reported on line 7 and line 8 for various reasons.

As the return was originally filed, it was not accurate and correct.  

It should be amended so that you have the correct amount of officer compensation reported on line 7 and the correct salaries and wages reported on line 8.  Reasonable Officer Compensation can come up when IRS is looking at an S corporation.  Be sure W2s are issued for the employees and officers.

Line 7. Compensation of Officers and Line 8. Salaries and Wages Distributions and other payments by an S corporation to a corporate officer must be treated as wages to the extent the amounts are reasonable compensation for services rendered to the corporation.

Enter on line 7 the total compensation of all officers paid or incurred in the trade or business activities of the corporation.

The corporation determines who is an officer under the laws of the state where it is incorporated.

Enter on line 8 the total salaries and wages paid or incurred to employees (other than officers) during the tax year.

If the corporation claims a credit for any wages paid or incurred, it may need to reduce the amounts on lines 7 and 8.

See Reducing certain expenses for which credits are allowable, earlier. Also reduce the amounts reported on lines 7 and 8 by the nonrefundable and refundable portions of the new CARES Act employee retention credit claimed on the corporation's employment tax return(s).

For additional information, please refer to the following link:

IRS Instructions for form 1120S

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Well this not a bad offence that doesn't need to be amended however the officers should also be on the payroll if they work the business and their wages should always be split up from the other employees. 

It depends on the total amount and if the salaries and wages reported elsewhere on the return, such as amounts included in cost of goods sold, elective contributions to a section 401(k) cash or deferred arrangement, or amounts contributed under a salary reduction SEP agreement or a SIMPLE IRA plan.  If the not $500,000 or more, and not included anywhere else in the return, no need to amend. 

There's a line for the ira deduction. Other than that, I don't see the salaries and wages reported anywhere else. Thank you!

deleted

Since you have SEP IRA plan for you and for your employee it is better to amend 1120-S to avoid further confusion

One last question, can I file a superseding return instead? Thank you very much for your help

The filing deadline for business returns did NOT change ... they were due 3/15/21 unless you put them on extension by that date which then gets you to 9/15.   ONLY personal returns (form 1040) were extended a month.  

Duplicated

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct!

The tax relief for Texas postpones various tax filing and payment deadlines that occurred starting on February 11.

As a result, affected individuals and businesses will have until June 15, 2021, to file returns and pay any taxes that were originally due during this period.

This includes 2020 individual and business returns normally due on April 15, as well as various 2020 business returns due on March 15.

Among other things, this also means that affected taxpayers will have until June 15 to make 2020 IRA contributions.

The June 15 deadline also applies to quarterly estimated income tax payments due on April 15 and the quarterly payroll and excise tax returns normally due on April 30.

It also applies to tax-exempt organizations, operating on a calendar-year basis, that have a 2020 return due on May 17.

When you file a business return, you are signing it as to being accurate and complete.  As you could see above, IRS may use the information that is reported on line 7 and line 8 for various reasons.

As the return was originally filed, it was not accurate and correct.  

It should be amended so that you have the correct amount of officer compensation reported on line 7 and the correct salaries and wages reported on line 8.  Reasonable Officer Compensation can come up when IRS is looking at an S corporation.  Be sure W2s are issued for the employees and officers.

Line 7. Compensation of Officers and Line 8. Salaries and Wages Distributions and other payments by an S corporation to a corporate officer must be treated as wages to the extent the amounts are reasonable compensation for services rendered to the corporation.

Enter on line 7 the total compensation of all officers paid or incurred in the trade or business activities of the corporation.

The corporation determines who is an officer under the laws of the state where it is incorporated.

Enter on line 8 the total salaries and wages paid or incurred to employees (other than officers) during the tax year.

If the corporation claims a credit for any wages paid or incurred, it may need to reduce the amounts on lines 7 and 8.

See Reducing certain expenses for which credits are allowable, earlier. Also reduce the amounts reported on lines 7 and 8 by the nonrefundable and refundable portions of the new CARES Act employee retention credit claimed on the corporation's employment tax return(s).

For additional information, please refer to the following link:

IRS Instructions for form 1120S

Thank you for your response! can I file a superseding return instead of amending it?

DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

No, if you already filed the original return, you will need to amend. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What’s the purpose of a superseding return then?

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

@ffrdacct  It's a technicality. Both serve the same basic purpose.  In this case, you are technically correct that it is a superseded return, because you are filing within the same period (before the filing deadline), to correct the issue.  This IRS website explains the difference:  Amended and Superseding Corporate Returns

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Do you  happen to know if I can e-file the superseding return? Thank you

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies