turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tillystarfish
Returning Member

My Return is more than $1600 SHORT!

I know everyone is already posting about this issue, but I see no real answers. 

I have no offsets, I owe nothing. I'm actually a disabled vet, and living below the poverty level. It's simply impossible that I owe anything, let alone $1,600.   

Links to the help forum don't help, calling the IRS doesn't help.  

I've been using turbotax since 2007, and have never had a problem like this.  I will absolutely never use them again after this.   

Please someone with an actual answer.... I saw someone online got her money back because the Intuit president filed a claim for her...this is not okay. Turbotax/intuit need to fix this problem ASAP. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies

Hello, I am also in the same boat. $2000 less than what I was supposed to received. I have also used turbo tax for years and never had an issue of the magnitude. 

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

More details and assistance on why your refund may have been lower than expected has been provided by clicking here. Also, the TurboTax FAQ provided below will give you some more reasons as to why it may have been lower than expected. 

Why did my refund go down compared to last year's?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Mine is short too!!! By $2000

anameininger
Returning Member

Same here, I am NEVER using them again. Had no offsets and didn't receive a third stimulus check so I have no clue as to why they have shorted me 1800! They need to fix this, most people really needed this money 

My return was 1400 short! I have used TurboTax every year and this will be the last! 

@Veronica94 wrote:

My return was 1400 short! I have used TurboTax every year and this will be the last! 

If your refund is short $1,400 then the IRS has records that show you were sent the 3rd stimulus payment so they removed the $1,400 Recovery Rebate Credit from the federal tax return Form 1040 Line 30.

If you checked your bank account in the March - May 2021 timeframe and there is not a $1,400 EIP3 payment from the IRS then go to this IRS website for how to start a trace on the payment - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...

Hey you are not a lone... I was robbed $1,700 from my return and for reasons that don't apply to me.  I haven't gotten the IRS letter they said was on it way...and the return was well over 21 days....it took nearly 30 days for me to receive my money. I see a lawsuit here for sure. I figured ill give ya a piece of mind that you're not alone bc this is nonsense.

Me too. 2000 dollars short. THat is my land tax payment. I am in trouble. After years of TurboTax....tsk, tsk.

I too have experienced a reduced refund. I have read all of the IRS letters and memorandums related to this issue. I am continuing to be perplexed; my personal situation indicates that my anticipated refund should have been as shown on my filing. Additionally, I was told that I should receive a letter of explanation by March 28, 2022. I have not received the letter.

It seems that the letter may in fact be delayed by months. Based upon the IRS guidance, it seems that the IRS is confused related to the Recovery Rebate Credit.

In A Pickle

Mine was a 1000 short. According to the letter i didnt put a 1 before my 560 to make it 1560. Um i answer the questions put in my income amount. I do not actually fill out the form turbo tax does!!! Not to mention i was forced into paying 115 dollars to file my taxes when it should have been free. I am done with turbo tax and will be filing a lawsuit!

SAME! I'm still fighting to get back nearly $2000 that mysteriously vanished. Thankfully the FTC is suing TurboTax. We'll all be getting our money back one way or another. 

Same boat. We we're mislead and forced to pay when knowing darn well we should have been able to use the free edition. Last year I used kredit karma and for the same exact tax situation was 100 percent free. Thankfully the FTC is now suing turbotax for charging us. 

Won't let me delete. My issue is resolved. My husband owed childsupport. I received all my money i was supposed to so editing this. 

I just got off the phone with the IRS. They told me TPG had their bank account numbers take $1368 of my refund, then my bank account numbers took 4138.11. The irs issued me $5506.11.  The irs stated this is how I had my refund set up, which is insane. Id never in my life set up my account for Turbo tax to steal that much. They said I owed no debt I already paid it off. 

They told me to file form for tax preparation fraud form 14157a

So I'm filling that out now.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies