turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Vanessa14
Returning Member

My parents forgot to answer that they will be claimed as a dependant in someone else's tax return.

my parents they don't have any income and i claimed them as my dependants in 2018 but i haven't filed my tax yet this year.however, my parents filed last week a tax return for 2019 after watching the news for the stimulus check that people who don't have income should also apply for the tax return. My father did file with zero income and he didn't answer a Yes to the question where it says if he can be claimed as a dependent on someone. Now, i'm gonna apply for my 2019 tax return and since myparents are dependent on me i need to claim them but what's gonna happen next since my parents filed their tax stating that no one else is claiming them as dependant. What do i need to do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

My parents forgot to answer that they will be claimed as a dependant in someone else's tax return.

It will present a problem. How it will be handled is up in the air since this is all new. If they actually filed a tax return, they can amend. If they went through a portal of some sort to enter their information, they IRS will have to it work out. If they receive the money, they will have to give it back, if they are your dependents.

@Vanessa14

Vanessa14
Returning Member

So am i able to claim them as my dependents when filing for 2019 tax return eventhough when they filed a tax return(zero income), they stated that no one else is going to claim them as dependents. Please advise. Thanks

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

I know it seems like the stimulus money is the most important thing right now, but you have to file your taxes correctly. That is actually more important. If your parents are your dependents, then claim them. They will not be entitled to the stimulus. One way or another, that will work itself out.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies