Quieana

My amended return has been adjusted, when will i receive the check?

I mailed mine out on the 10th of March and it say the got it the 19th and I forgot about it for a while until now and check it out and it says “adjusted” as on 10-2-20. So I’m hoping that it will be DD because I moved from my last apartment and no longer live there. I wish there was some way to track it or even a way you can see how much your getting... 

anyways my question is have you gotten yours yet? I’ve seen it’s been three weeks 

@Quieana The IRS does not do a direct deposit for a refund for an amended return.  They will only mail you a check to the address on your tax return.   If you have moved you had better send in a change of address asap AND make sure you have filled out the mail forwarding forms with the post office.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8822.pdf

charliej01

3 days after my status changed on the "Where's my amended return"  website I received a letter from the IRS describing the changes made with my amended return. Now waiting to receive the actual check. (I'm having my mail held while we're gone for the summer, hopefully its there when I return).

Quieana

Did you receive them yet. Mine said 10/2/20 but it’d still hasn’t completed and no notice 

Anonymous
Not applicable

only the IRS can answer and even then they might not be able to answer at the present time. 

charliej01

Well, the worst case scenario happened to me.  They did mail my ameneded return refund check on 9/21/20, unfortunately I was having my mail forwarded to a summer address then and they won't forward checks...so they returned it to the IRS.  After spending 3 hours on the phone with the IRS on 10/2/20 they finally agreed that they had received it as "returned, not deliverable".  So they are reissuing the check and said I should receive it in 4-6 weeks (so early Nov).  Back to the waiting game.  But some good news....this year the IRS is paying interest on their tardy refunds, so based on the amount they told me over the phone it appears they are paying me interest on the refund all the way back to 4/2018 (the filing date for the original 2017 return I was amending).

Quieana

I’m running into the same issue with the mail forwarding address. What number did you call you speak with a live person? 

charliej01

I called [phone number removed] to talk to a person. There were lots of options to select to actually get to a person...don't remember which I selected (I think I tried several).  Once they did agree to reissue I received a notification letter from them about 7-10 days later and the actual check arrived 18 days later. Good luck.

kimmiediane

Hi , Quieana,

Did you receive your Amended Tax Return cheque in the mail? I just checked my ATR, today, and it was 'Adjusted' on 01/01/2021.  I am praying this means I will get a refund.

charliej01

Yes, I received a physical check in the mail.

pockynon

Well, let me tell you my sad story.  The CPA that handled my brother's estate told me to file an amended return as I had another $1,000 owed me.  I filed this in May of 2020.  Never heard a word from the IRS and when I looked into my account, it said the return was received but not processed or completed.  It took me almost two weeks to get through on an IRS number and the person I spoke with just said it was received but could not tell me whey it was not processed or completed.  In October, 2020, I received a letter from the IRS office in Austin, Texas telling me that I needed to submit one more item from a Schedule K.  I contacted the CPA, he sent me the form which I submitted in October.  Still no word from the IRS.  The last time I went into my site,  it said they would be sending me a letter explaining why my return has not been completed.  Mind you, this has been going on since May of 2020.  The number they give you to call, will tell you to call back at another time and if you actually reach someone, they don't have any details about your case.  So frustrating!.

pockynon

If your return has been adjusted, you may not even get a check.  Sometimes they determine that you owe money or there is no change.  Completed is the only time you will get a check.  This happened to me - the CPA that handled my brother's estate told me to file an amended return as he determined that I was owed another $1,000.  Well it turned out that I owed the IRS money and the CPA was totally in left field over this.  It was impossible for me to get through to the IRS - the message always said to call back at another time or when I finally did get through to someone, they had no details.

pockynon

Thank you, very helpful.

kimmiediane

Does anyone know what N/A means on my Amended Tax Return (2018)? The completed (final) stage is yellow with N/A status. 

Received  Adjusted  Completed N/A

04/13/2020 01/01/2021 N/A

charliej01

Not sure why, but mine remained in N/A status even after I received the check.  Seemed like about a month went by before it changed to completed.