turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

weber-juu212
Returning Member

My amended federal tax return only shows the "File Later" option, asking to choose another payment method. But I can't because it's an amendment. What are my options?

In Step 2, Your refund/payment info, I see "Your taxes owed will be direct debited from your bank account ending in xxxx on null." - This is how I set up the direct debit for my original tax return, which is now accepted and paid. I tried to click "Revisit", but it only refreshes the page without changing anything.

In step 3, the amended federal tax return shows "File Later". If I click on "Change", I am told that "File by mail is not available because you have selected to pay balance due with direct debit. If you want to file by mail, you must go back and choose a different method to pay your taxes."

It seems like I am stuck. How can I get out of this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
CassLO
Intuit Alumni

My amended federal tax return only shows the "File Later" option, asking to choose another payment method. But I can't because it's an amendment. What are my options?

Please see this link: What is direct debit and how does it work? Amended returns can only be mailed. It is suggested that it be mailed certified with return receipt (or other tracking service) to verify that the IRS receives it.

You can check the status of the amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after mailing.

Please see the links below for more information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
weber-juu212
Returning Member

Hi,

thank you for the reply.

I do not have a File by Mail option. Only File Later is available.

How do I find instructions to print and mail my return?

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Try this to clear your cache and cookies which may allow you to proceed with printing your return:

Clear Cache:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/how-to-clear-your-cache/00/26135

Delete Cookies: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/how-do-i-delete-cookies/00/25978

If this still doesn't work, try deleting the Amended Return and start over.  If this still doesn't work you can reach us via phone for further assistance: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
weber-juu212
Returning Member

I called the support who told me that I could print the return in the print center, and mail that.

Also, upon selecting the "File By Mail" for California, and clicking Continue, despite having the federal return as "File Later", TurboTax let me print the federal return there along with mailing instructions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies