Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

coinfinders
Returning Member

My 2022 tax structure is identical to my 2021 taxes. I heavily use the "details" functions for a given deduction. I would like to instantly see the verbiage from 2021?

I can pull up my 2021 return and refer back and forth for each line item.  But that very tedious and clunky.  Is there functionality that allows me to do this with only the 2022 return open?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

My 2022 tax structure is identical to my 2021 taxes. I heavily use the "details" functions for a given deduction. I would like to instantly see the verbiage from 2021?

Do you have the 2021 pdf open?  Or print it out so you can refer to it.

coinfinders
Returning Member

Thanks for the quick response!  I'm not working with a PDF.  I use TT on my desktop and I have not filed my 2022 taxes yet.  I am still working it.  I'm on the "General Business Income" page, as an example.  There's  a box titled "Description and Amount."  Within that box for my 2021 taxes are 4 line items showing gross income for each line.  On the same page of my 2022 taxes, the "Description and Amount" box is there, but the line items are blank.  I thought there was a feature (or "auto-population") where the "admin" language and line items from the previous year is brought forward.  For now, I have both pages open in the 2021 and 2022 returns.  To duplicate the language from 2021, I have to copy it from the 2021 return and then click over to the 2022 return.  It's very clunky and time consuming!

coinfinders
Returning Member

One more data point:  On the boxes I mentioned above, if you right click on the individual amount block, it opens up a page for supporting details.  I would LOVE to get that data somehow populated from my 2021 return to 2022.  The actual dollar amounts are different, but the line items and "income categories" (my words) are the same from last year.

Yes it should transfer over.  Didn't you start 2022 by transferring 2021?  If you didn't transfer 2021 you would have to start a new blank 2022 return (go up to File-New) and it should find your 2021 return and ask if you want to transfer it.  Are you on Windows or Mac?  

My business individual lines transfer over.  Like I have several items listed under Misc Expenses that come over so I just have to enter the amounts.  

If you did transfer what info did come over?  Maybe you transferred from the wrong 2021 return.  Or if Schedule C didn't transfer you may have marked it final last year.  

coinfinders
Returning Member

Hi!  I'm on a PC -- I've been a TT user for over 20 years.  I created a new return and clicked on the transfer button for 2021 data.  The "big picture" data is there (as with the previous version), but the individual line items did not transfer.  This is consistent with another return I worked previously on another person, and consistent over the years as well.  Also, how do I delete the previous versions I started?  I can't find the cue, and the auto-help function doesn't recognize that request.  Please advise if there is a fix.....

What previous versions?  Different tax returns?  You can delete them in Windows.  They end in .tax2021 or .tax2022 etc.  And should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.  

For the WIndows Desktop program

Delete return FAQ

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900686-how-do-i-delete-a-tax-return-that-was-created-in-turbotax-...

You can delete a tax return from within the TurboTax Windows Desktop Program on the very first screen after starting the program or go to File-Open. Click on the large square icon representing the file you wish to delete (avoid clicking the blue "Continue" button). Then just hit your delete key and answer the prompt.

OR Start the program and on the first page click the blue Find A Tax File link at the bottom of the box. Then in the list that pops up you can right click on the file and choose delete.

Or you can delete it from Windows.  The tax files end in .tax20yy and should be in your Documents folder then in a Turbo Tax subfolder.

Or just start a new return, go to FILE - NEW and ignore the wrong one.

coinfinders
Returning Member

Hi,  I was able to get everything deleted, and got a new 2022 return loaded up.  I followed all the suggestions you sent (I'm very tech savvy, so thanks for your patience).  All the background and "boilerplate" info transferred OK, but not the "Supporting Details" and all the hundreds of other individual inputs from 2021.  Any further suggestions?  Many thanks from Scotty

And you Transferred from the right 2021 file?  Did some Schedule C info transfer over?  You can open it in the 2021 program?  See if your schedule C is marked as Final.  Then save it with another name so you know exactly which file it is.  Go up to File - Save As.  

That's all I can think of to try.  What files did you delete?  Did you start a lot of test returns or returns you didn't file?  Hope you didn't delete any files you will need in the future.  You probably should make a backup before deleting things, just in case.  And be sure to frequently backup all your .tax and pdf files to a flash drive etc.  

coinfinders
Returning Member

Regarding the delete:  yes, I'm good with my config management protocols.  I deleted everything and started over.  I had preliminary data in previous versions, so nothing was lost.  Besides, I'd rather start the return with all the individual line items intact.

Regarding the Schedule C:  Nothing transferred over -- I have 3 1099's in my Schedule C with their respective income and deductions.  I looked at the 2021 Schedule C under "forms" and I can't tell if it's "final."  Where can I see this "final" tag?

I thought it would say FINAL at the top of schedule C but I don't see that.  But check here......

Assuming you are using the Home & Business version. Open your 2021 return
Go to Business Tab - Continue - Choose what to work on
Business Income & Expenses - Update
Click Edit by your business
Top section Business Profile - Update
See if it says Yes by 5th item Disposed of Business in Current Year

If it says Yes then Edit it and uncheck I sold (or disposed) my business

Then save your return and transfer it again.  

That answers worked for this user - Thanks for the tip! I did go back to the 2017 return and found a box checked that indicated the business on the sched C had been disposed of. I unchecked the box, saved the 2017 file and re-imported. All is good! Thanks, again!

coinfinders
Returning Member

Hi!  Sorry for the delay -- I was offline for a week or so.  Nope, none of your ideas and suggestions worked.  And I worked some other angles from other websites.  I've given up and am manually moving (cut/paste -- line by line) the info from my 2021 return to the 2022 return.  But thanks so much for trying to help.  Cheers,  Scotty

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies