turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

money owed not taken from account

I e-filed and my taxes where accepted. I owe and set-up for the funds to be taken from my checking account. It has been almost a week after the date selected and the funds have not been withdrawn from my account. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

43 Replies
DanaB27
Employee Tax Expert

Usually, the IRS will withdraw the amount on the day you selected. If that date happens to fall on a weekend or federal holiday, the funds are typically withdrawn the next business day. But there seems to be some delay with the IRS withdrawing the funds. Please be aware that this year you have until May 17th to pay your balance due. Please see When will my tax payment go through? for additional information.

Also, you can view your balance and check your payment activity at IRS Paying Your Taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi, I am in the same situation.  My return was accepted by the IRS and State both with payments due on 04 Apr 21.  I set the payment dates for ~ 08 Apr 21.  The state debited their amount due but so far the IRS has not debited for the amount I owe.    I called the IRS payment line and the agent said they were having issues this year and yes normally they would have debited my account on the date as specified.  He advised to give it another week or so and this was not normal.   He could not see the payment made or scheduled either.   Will post again when I have more info.  Sounds like many people paying by EFT are having similar issues with the IRS debit. 

The IRS is seriously backlogged again this year due to the new tax law changes among other things so all balance due returns are on the back burner so that the limited staff can concentrate on putting out  third stimulus checks, processing returns with refunds on them ,  re computing returns already filed affected by the recent retroactive tax law changes  AND catching up on the millions of 2019 returns that still have not been processed.

So payment debits are being delayed again this year and will not happen until they get around to actually processing the return.     So if your return has been ACCEPTED for processing and you check  the payment information you entered  and if it is correct  then write out the amount in your account on the day it was supposed to go and eventually it will be.  There will be no penalties or interest if the IRS failed to make the debit on time as long as the request was done correctly on a timely filed return.

How do I review the method I chose to pay my federal income tax with, after filing with TurboTax Online?

You can verify the tax payment method you chose on the Electronic Filing Instructions for your 2020  Federal Tax Return page, next to Balance Due/Refund. To see the page, follow these instructions:

1. Open your return if it’s not already open.
  2. On the [Your name], your 2020  federal return was accepted! screen, scroll down and select Add a State (don’t worry, we’re not adding a state) to access your tax forms and worksheets.
  3. On the left side select Tax Tools then Print Center.
  4. On the TurboTax Print Center screen, select Print, save or preview this year’s return.
  5. On the next TurboTax Print Center screen, select 2020 federal returns and Include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional) then select View or print forms.
  6. The information will be on the first page, Electronic Filing Instructions for your 2020 Federal or State Tax Return next to Balance Due/Refund.

In the future may I suggest you pay the federal (and state if allowed) directly on the fed or state websites ... this way you have the control on the timing and get an instant confirmation of the payment.   https://www.irs.gov/payments 

tc-in-kc

Ditto - same problem here but I'm going on 2 weeks and the payment hasn't been removed.  Took 6 days for our state payment to be debited.  Going to try the links above.  Thanks.

Update -- tried to create an online account with the IRS to check my payment status but creation failed.  It couldn't verify my cell # because the account is under my spouse's name.  8-(

Thanks for the details and site info!  IDK one could EFT the tax due payment directly to the IRS thru their payments web site! I thought I HAD to use the TurboTax EFS transfer option.  This is the first year I've used the EFT.  Normally I USPS a check before the due date.  I'll continue monitoring my account for the debit and post and update when...it hits.   TY!  Stay safe, stay alive! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issue and it has now been 11 days since my payment was supposed to come out of my account.  One of the responders above mentioned being able to check on the status on the IRS website.  I had already found that and tried to look but it is requiring a confirmation number which I have never received and I don't see it on the final return produced by turbotax anywhere.  How can I get a confirmation number to check the status?

@Anonymous wrote:

I am having the same issue and it has now been 11 days since my payment was supposed to come out of my account.  One of the responders above mentioned being able to check on the status on the IRS website.  I had already found that and tried to look but it is requiring a confirmation number which I have never received and I don't see it on the final return produced by turbotax anywhere.  How can I get a confirmation number to check the status?

The confirmation number is only if you used the IRS payment website to pay taxes owed.  There will not be a confirmation number if you requested direct debit from your bank account on the e-filed federal tax return.

Try using the ACCOUNT INFO option instead ...   https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

Similar to many of you.  Filed in early April.  State took money out a few days later.  IRS still not yet after 10+ days.

Turbo Tax "Electronic Filing Instructions for your 2020 Federal Tax Return" page is USELESS.

Says this:

"Your federal tax return (Form 1040) shows a balance due of $. Mail your completed Form 1040-V with included payment made payable to the | United States Treasury by May 17, 2021. Make sure you sign your check and write your social security number and "Form 1040-V" on the check."

That's not a typo and it is a direct copy.  It says balance due of $.  I owed quite a bit.  And told it to take it out of my checking account; which is also not shown.

So now on old with the IRS (transferred 3 times) to confirm they actually have my payment instructions (since the IRS.gov account web page shows no pending or scheduled payments).  Turbo Tax bug on the summary page showing zero amount and wrong info; IRS bug in not charging my account promptly as instructed.

Hi.  I'm sorry you are having issues too.  Thanks for alerting community!  

Based on your post, I verified my "2020 filing page" just now and has the correct owed amounts listed from the 1040 + correct bank routing and other info on that page.     

After speaking with the IRS agent on SAT,  I'll be monitoring my bank account daily for the next couple of weeks.  If push/shove + no EFT by the 17 May deadline, he said I could choose to pay it manually that day and then watch the accounts carefully.   The gotcha is they would still debit your original EFT too when they get around to it.   To avoid that, he said you would have to closely monitor your banking accounts and then tell the bank to reverse the 2nd charge within I think 5 days of it hitting.  Of course, you also have to have the $ in the account to pay the 2nd EFT too or face overdrafts and bounced debit pain.   

To keep-it-simple for now, he strongly recommended monitoring and waiting since they know they are behind on the EFTS vs complicating the situation. 

Please let us know what you learn as you situation with the missing data on the pages is very strange.   TY!  Stay safe, stay alive!  Peace. 

Per the IRS: 

• Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method.  For information on other electronic payment options visit the Payments Home Page.
  • Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.
  • Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-taxes-by-electronic-funds-withdrawal

Hi.  As promised. My return was accepted on 04 Apr 21 with a IRS debit date of 08 Apr 21.  The IRS just debited my account today 21 Apr 21.    The state got theirs a while back.  Hang in there, seems they will get their $!!  😉   Stay safe, stay alive!  Peace.

Hi, how are you? I have a problem with my tax deposit. I made my declaration on 02/22/2021 and as of today the feds were not deposited, worrying, I decided to review what I had sent and I realized that there was an error and I made an amendment that gave a debt. The IRS took the debt from my account but I still haven't deposited my taxes, what should I do?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies