Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

deniseaj

Last time I logged on, I owed taxes, which I couldn't afford to pay... so I filed an extension. When I hopped back on now to file my taxes, I don't owe anymore. How?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Last time I logged on, I owed taxes, which I couldn't afford to pay... so I filed an extension. When I hopped back on now to file my taxes, I don't owe anymore. How?

Did you make a payment with the extension?  The extension gives you more time to file the return.   The tax due was still due April 18.   Your return is probably assuming you made the payment.

So be sure an extension payment doesn't automatically show up on your return!
 Check 1040 line 31 which comes from schedule 3 line 10.  You may need to delete it.   See this Extension FAQ for how to get there.  Then you can change to amount to zero.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-payments/help/how-do-i-get-credit-for-tax-payments-i-made-with...

did you enter an amount for the extension and just not pay it?  if so, Turbotax may have included that as an actual payment. if so it will show up on schedule 3 line 10. you'll need to go into your return to delete this "payment". if you did not fairly accurately indicate the balance due on the extension, the IRS can invalidate it.  in this case, we have no way of knowing why your balance due dropped to zero. we can't see your return. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Are you sure you signed in with the exact same user ID that you used when you prepared the tax return and filed the extension? People often have more than one TurboTax user ID, sometimes without realizing it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies