turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It has been more than 8 weeks since filing electronically and I still receive the message that my return is being processed. How can I find out the specifics?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

It has been more than 8 weeks since filing electronically and I still receive the message that my return is being processed. How can I find out the specifics?

If it is more than 8 weeks, you should definitely give the IRS a call.  Their number is: 1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday.  Make sure you choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead (this is so you can reach a live person).  You can also reach out to a local IRS office as well:  http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1

Please see below for other possible reasons concerning your delay:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5556415

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5340655

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It's been more than 8 weeks since I efile my tax return through turbotax and mine still processing. And I been trying to call them all last week to see what is the hold up but they keep saying there having minor technical difficulties so they can't answer my call.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@Jeremy Daurbigny There are many people experiencing this long delay, unfortunately. 

If your return on the Where’s My Federal Refund? site shows processing, during this time the government reviews your refund. During the review process, they look for math errors on your return (extremely rare in TurboTax) and they also check if you owe back taxes, unpaid child support, or other debts. 

If they need to make any corrections, they may offset (reduce) your refund. In some cases, the correction might even increase your refund.

Once that part's done, the government approves your refund, which means it's ready to be deposited or sent.  At that point the IRS site will update with a direct deposit date. 

The general timeline of e-filed returns is: Transmission > Acceptance > Processing > Approval > Refund.

Continue to monitor your refund on the IRS Where’s My Federal Refund? site for updates. Updates are made daily, usually overnight. You may also download the IRS2Go app to check your Federal refund status.

Please see the links below for more information:

dlane29

It's been since Feb. 23rd that I efiled. It's getting really annoying calling everyday and no live talks right now. Even been thru all the website of the IRS, found a # for IRS advocate. Called, have left 3 messages in the last 2 weeks and even faxed them.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@dlane29

The IRS maybe closed due to COVID19. You can keep trying to contact them.

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301592

Please use this link to track your refund from the IRS. https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/use-the-wheres-my-refund-tool

Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

Yes said was execepted got 40 from state but nothing from federal keeps saying being processed been 8 weeks or longer said my ssn was being used more then once but if has its from me and its right number

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@sheryldubby1977 Did the IRS mail you a letter informing you that your social security number was used already?  If so, there should be a contact number printed on the notice or letter that you can call.  You may also contact the IRS for specialized assistance at 800-908-4490.

Referencehttps://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/reporting-fraud/reporting-identity-theft

gzwalters

We didn't receive our refund until mid-December last year and we filed with Turbo Tax in February.  We had a significant decrease in income in 2020 and are eligible for the stimulus but they are still going by 2019 taxes.  Don't expect a return or stimulus until the last quarter of 2021.  The IRS doesn't have the staff and they aren't hiring them either.  Their tools are a joke.

gorrell72

What do you expect them to do?  You're complaining about the government taking some time to give you free money, which only is hurting our economic situation in the long run.  Perhaps you should save your money in a saving account rather than pay excess money to the government throughout the year.  Either way, just because your specific tax situation wasn't acceptable to you doesn't mean that everyone else will experience the same.  I filed my taxes in March and am still waiting for them to be processed.  Do I care?  Not a bit.  I can see the IRS has tons of job postings just be going to their website and viewing the listings so I'm not sure what your negative attitude is about, but making up lies and spreading them does no one any good.  Maybe congress shouldn't keep passing these stimulus bills handing out free money.  Maybe then people will go back to work and the IRS will have employees to process your free money @gzwalters, although you could always get a job and not depend on the government for financial assistance.

Manage cookies